Student Teacher Looking to Spice Things Up!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mountainmama, Nov 30, 2016.

1. mountainmama

mountainmama Rookie

Nov 30, 2016

Good Evening! I am going to begin student teaching in a 5th grade classroom starting in January. I have actually already taught with my cooperating-teacher before as I had her for a practicum last year and we clicked so well together! I am so excited to be with her and feel I am more confident because I know her and know what I will be teaching. I have a binder with a lot of different activities planned and I am just so excited. A goal of mine is to become more involved with students' parents. This is not something I have experience with from my past as a practicum teacher so I am looking for some ideas. I love creating classroom newsletters and incorporating information on what students will be learning for the week, information about myself and the students, etc.. What are your thoughts on a student teacher doing this? Any other ideas are welcome as well! Thank you!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2016

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    otterpop, Obadiah and czacza like this.
  4. mountainmama

mountainmama Rookie

Nov 30, 2016

Oh of course! Thankfully my cooperating teacher and I have a great relationship so I am not afraid to tell her about different ideas that I have.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Dec 1, 2016

2 things! Our principal must approve any type of notices or newsletters we send home to parents (just an fyi).

At our school, we love to invite parents in as much as possible. Our principal loves when we invite parents when we're doing a project, presentations, or even a science project. We also have the students make the invitations, more personal.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2016

Our admin must also approve anything going home with students. Another consideration--be wary of starting something (e.g. weekly newsletter) that parents will expect to be continued by the classroom teacher once you are finished your placement.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 1, 2016

An idea might be to include a math puzzle or an unusual recipe, something students and parents can do together.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 3, 2016

I wouldn't like this! I send home information quite regularly. It would bother me that I wasn't trusted to do this on my own.

Definitely, check with the teacher about these plans, but it is great you're so excited. :)

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2016

Obadiah and otterpop like this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 3, 2016

Quotation marks for emphasis can be added to your list! Students have been working "really" hard. What are those quotation marks for!? My former principal would make this error all the time and it drove me NUTS.

We were supposed to get things approved before sending them home at that school, too, but at that time I just didn't really do that. At my current school, sending home some kind of weekly newsletter is expected.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Obadiah likes this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2016

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 3, 2016

Alot of times I see "a lot" misspelled. :eek: Then there's people like me; I have to constantly proofread, for, too, many, commas.:oops:

otterpop likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 3, 2016

"Should of" is another one!

Students should of received their report cards yesterday.

:confused:

OP, sorry this got kind of off subject :) I guess the suggestion is to proofread.

If you do send something out, I'd make sure parents know it's from you. As another poster said, you don't want the teacher to feel like they've got to continue after you've left.

Obadiah and Leaborb192 like this.
  14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2016

So you misspelled it for emphasis to make your point?;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Obadiah and Leaborb192 like this.
  15. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 3, 2016

czacza likes this.
  16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2016

We are asked to show admin newsletters, notices and permission forms we are sending home so that they are aware, not so that they can approve, Our parents will sometimes call the principal with a question about what is in a class newsletter or about a field trip permission form; if they have seen the correspondence, they can answer the questions. I've only ever been asked to make two changes--one to lower the cost of a field trip and one to take out a request for parent volunteers for a class event.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 4, 2016

This was exactly the same for us. When I ran off copies of my newsletter, I simply made an extra and put it in my principal's mail box. She wanted to be kept in the loop. There was only one instance where she asked me to hold off sending it out because I had included information about an annual event that she wanted to discuss at a staff meeting before informing parents.

18. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Dec 8, 2016

I'm a fifth grade student teacher this year as well and my mentor teacher and I trade off (every two weeks) sending "love notes" home to parents about our students. These are just quick emails about something especially cool we saw the students doing/some great progress they've made. This regular communication made parent-teacher conferences much less stressful (and we get more mellow reactions to any not so lovely notes we have to send home).