student teacher looking for tips

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Dec 1, 2005.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Dec 1, 2005

Hello everyone! I will beginning my student teaching in January and was wondering if any veteran teachers had any tips for me to use when I begin. I know I need to act professionally, but are there any specific characteristics or qualities that would make a student teacher shine in your eyes? I want to do the best I possibly can, and am looking forward to beginning the final steps towards my career. I'd appreciate all feedback! Thanks! Stephanie :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 3, 2005

Listen to your CT. I had an intern a few semesters ago who would not listen at all to any of my suggestions, and she bombed every lesson, and then I had to play "clean up" reteaching the lesson after she would leave for the day. I didn't write on her evaluation how horrible she actually was, but the review certainly wasn't glowing.

4. Ali

Ali Companion

Dec 3, 2005

Make sure that you try to do things without having to be asked. I had a student teacher once who just sat there when she wasn't actually teaching & I had to ask her to get up and circulate among the students. Also, put your absolute all into student teaching. You may be up grading or cutting or pasting or creating until midnight but you only do this once, this is your time to shine. Good luck!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 3, 2005

Be prepared, be enthusiastic, ask questions.
    Good luck!

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Dec 4, 2005

My cooperating teacher was excited that I got involved right away, from the first day of school.
    One thing that she did (and if your CT doesn't do it, there's no reason why you shouldn't) was provide a notebook for us to jot notes back and forth in. It was really helpful, because as she was teaching the lesson or out of the room, I could write down a question or a "remind me to tell you later about..." note. She would write down positive comments or suggestions about the lessons I taught as well. Of course, we communicated verbally all the time, but having the notebook made it easier to make sure we weren't missing anything.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 4, 2005

My suggestion would be to try to go to as many IEP meetings, committee meetings, faculty meetings, etc...as you can! Whenever my CT had a meeting to go to during the day they would provide a paraprofessional to cover the room and I would go with her to the meeting. Some of the other student teachers took that opportunity to have the room to themselves and would tell the principal that they didn't need the para to cover the room....which is great, but I was able to sit in on 4 IEP meetings which was something I had NO experience with before hand and I feel that was very beneficial to me.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 4, 2005

Be prepared, ask lots of questions, and try and use the suggestions that your CT gives you.
    I got along great with my CT , we communicated a lot and I learned a lot from her.

Also keep copies of everything and start building your own files for things.

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Dec 4, 2005

I just finished having my first student teacher. It was great. We communicated a lot. She asked a lot of questions. I told her to get a file box and start collecting and build your own files on a monthly basis. She have a file box full of ideas for the first four months of school. I told her she could come back an look through my other monthly files.

Since I am a special education teacher, I had my student teacher at all my IEP meetings, faculty meetings, and went to the PAC (I&RS) when I served on it. I also had her go observe other teachers in the building so that she can see other teaching styles.

I also told her that she can bring any ideas that she wanted to try in the classroom and that we would work on.

Be prepared, enthusiastic and show that you are doing your research on your lesson plans. Good luck.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2005

I agree with what everyone said! My CT would rarely observe my lessons and took the time that I was teaching to leave the room and take a break. I felt very uncomfortable with this...I knew I could "handle" the students, but I wanted to make sure that my lessons were done the right way, and I barely ever got feedback. If your CT is doing something you don't like, or doing something that you would like him/her to do, speak up! I really wish that I had!

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 5, 2005

Check your clothing before your wear it to school. This sounds silly but make sure you can squat, bend over, sit, etc without revealing more than you would want the preacher to see!

Drop the slang before you enter the classroom. You can look and act very professional but if you talk in slang terms to your CT or Principal than all the professionalism goes out the window.

Keep your temper in check. I had a student teacher once who was so upset over the behavior of one of my students that she actually swore at me. That was not good, not good at all!!!

Good Luck

12. ohiosnshine

ohiosnshine Rookie

Dec 5, 2005

I am also in school right now, and my professors have stressed the "dressing professionally" aspect of being a teacher. I think that being willing to accept constructive criticism and learn from what your CT tells you are really going to be helpful in gaining respect from your CT and other teachers. Plus, if they can see that you're really taking their advice to heart, they'll probably be more willing to offer it in the future!

13. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Dec 6, 2005

Like jenglish said above, my CT also had me go observe other teachers. We did this when it was time to "phase me out". While we transitioned back to my CT teaching more, I arranged with other teachers to visit their classes. This allowed me to see other teaching styles as well as other grade levels.

14. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Dec 12, 2005

have fun!

I still look back to student teaching as one of my favorite times!
    I was able to have a great coop. teacher and we had a lot of fun.]
    One thing I loved about student teaching was the fact that when I
    wasn't needed I could be creative and make bulletin boards or fun games. The teacher I was with loved that I took care of changing
    bulletin boards and made centers but I also took all of my creations with me! Now as a teacher I have no time to be creative! Definitely
    do not wait to be asked to do something. If you have an idea ask if
    it is o.k. and your ct will be so happy that you're motivated. Offer
    to correct papers or rearrange cabinets when the kids are out of the
    room. I love to be busy and even though I learned a lot from my ct, I
    was very helpful to her too! Mainly- have fun!