Student-teacher journal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vita_bella, Oct 28, 2014.

1. vita_bella

vita_bella Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

Hello,

I volunteer in an educational project with children with academic difficulties and I´ve been thinking about ways to get them to write more so that they can learn to express themselves better. One of the options that I´ve considered is using a "student-teacher journal", but I haven´t found much practical information about it. I would really apreciate if some of you have experience with this and could give me advice on how to do it, what rules to set beforehand about the topics to write, etc. The children are 12-13 years old, mostly males who every time I ask them to write, draw or do anything else, they can only think about football.

3. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 28, 2014

Teenage boys don't like to express themselves.

I used to work with a program focusing on helping teen boys with anger management. We would watch video clips from movies and TV shows and exhibited certain behaviors (betrayal, lying, etc.) and then the boys would discuss it in the context of the movies. When we wouldn't watch a video and ask a question like, "What was a time someone betrayed you?" They were slow to share, but when they could talk about how they would feel if they were in the role of the movie character, we got a lot more out of them.

Perhaps showing video clips of things and then having the boys write about them and how they relate to their life would be effective.

4. vita_bella

vita_bella Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

I like that idea, the only problem is that we don´t have much time to do that. The good thing about the journal is that they could do it in their own time at home, and it would be more flexible.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 29, 2014

Boys by this age have learned to like or dislike writing. If they are not writing much, they might need a hand to get them to change from disliking writing to liking writing.

Here are some ideas. First, remind them that although there are a lot of rules in life and school, writing today there will be no rules. They may write whatever they want, and that you will not grade for punctuation. If they choose football...so be it. There is nothing wrong about writing about something they love to do...as a beginning.

Second, I would choose a few topics that are fun for all to write about at this age for boys. Have them use their imaginations to write about how disgusting the "imaginary" cafeteria food is. Then give them a few examples: "When I bit into the hot dog, green ooze came out. The pizza cheese had been replaced with dried glue." Yes, I know it is disgusting, but I have found boys will enjoy that. (I am a male myself, so I have a bit of experience there.) Also, some other topics that can't miss:
    * Have them describe the girl's (or boy's) hair was weird.
    *Have them describe the teacher was the most strict on earth.
    *Have them describe the weirdest day that ever happened.
    *Have them describe their dream house.

You'll have to model these a bit first. Once you get boys to see that writing can be fun, you are in good shape to have them expand into other writing activities. Good luck!

6. vita_bella

vita_bella Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

Thank you! That´s really helpful :)
    Do you have any suggestions about how to give them feedback? Should I write notes or comments on their journals?