Student Teacher- Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Jan 16, 2013

I am student teaching right now and it is going wonderful..EXCEPT for guided reading. The kids are always talking and I keep reminding them to take turns. I don't understand, they listen to me when I teach the whole group, but not for this. Are there any suggestions or tips. I know some people try a magic pencil, where you can only be talking when you are holding it. I might try that out. Please let me know any ideas you might have!!!! :) I am eager to learn new ways of conducting guided reading.

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jan 16, 2013

I'm glad your student teaching is going so well.

Most children get very excited to work with their teacher in a small group, because it gives them much more of your attention.

One way that I ensure that students take turns is that I require them to raise their hands, just as they do in our regular class. If someone forgets and calls out, I'll remind them once. If it happens again, I'll send them back to their seat.

This is extremely effective. I have never had to send someone to their seat more than once in a year. Also, when other students in the group see it happen, they immediately conform to the rules, because they don't want to miss out.

4. MissEAKTeach

MissEAKTeach New Member

Jan 19, 2013

Whenever the kids are getting too chatty/giggly in small groups, I do the following (even though it may seem evil):

"If we don't finish what I planned for today, you can finish the rest for homework. It is your choice."

It works like a charm almost every time! :)