Student Teacher Gift????

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by src1105teach, Mar 6, 2006.

1. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 6, 2006

I am starting to gather ideas for my student teacher's graduation. I was wondering if anyone had ideas about great gifts. She is doing a great job and I really want to get her something thoughtful. I try to get her a little something each week. (Wether it is coffee, a note pad, or teacher stickers) My class is doing a NEW TEACHER SHOWER with teaching and office supplies, so I want to do something different that she will always remember. My students are also making her a book with teaching advice. So if you have any wonderful ideas please let me know. :thanks:

3. westcoaster

westcoaster Rookie

Mar 6, 2006

First off, I'd like to say that you sound like a very considerate and caring person to work with!

In terms of gift ideas...is there a book that she particularly likes and would use in her own classroom (ie. a hardbook story that she's used)? I received the portfolio version of "the mysteries of harris burdick" -- great for creative writing starters if you haven't seen it!

I appreciated a gift certificate to the teacher supply store! Resource books are a great idea, although maybe hard to buy if you don't know which grades she'll be teaching. Personally I love stamps and ink pads!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2006

My student teacher from LAST year stopped me in the school hallway today and said that she LOVEs "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong which I gave her when she left our class last year. It's definitely a MUST READ!!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 6, 2006

When I finished student teaching, I got a fantastic recommendation letter, a basket of goodies (blue tack, pens, stickers, notepads that related to the themes i taught, books, etc), and a book my kids made about what they loved about me. I also got a gift card to the teacher store.

My certification is PreK-3rd, so my CT gave me several children's books that would be useful for ANY level (Kevin Henkes was a big author during my time there, so I got several of his books).

We were given "The First Days of School" during our new teacher orientation, but I haven't really read too much of it because there's not too much in there for PreK Special Ed. ;) Next year, though, who knows?

6. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

Mar 6, 2006

Have the kids write letters of recommendation for your student teacher. It is a great lesson in business letter writing for the kids as well as an amazing and useful present for your student teacher.

7. LiveForHim

LiveForHim Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

How bout a gift card for a massage from a nice spa?!

Not teacher related, but I guarantee she'll remember it. And after all the stress of school, she could use some relaxation!

8. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

Thank you for all your ideas. I like the ideas that relate to something outside of teaching. Do you think that new teachers would rather have supplies for the classroom or something that is not "teacherish"?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 8, 2006

Probably some supplies for the classroom. For my kindergarten placement the class gave me a huge basket filled with teacher goodies. My 2nd grade placement ended during the holidays, so I got a mixture of Christmas stuff and teacher stuff. It's always nice to have things to help you start off. The suggestions above are wonderful. Books to start a library, sticky notes, pens, markers, tape, cut outs, notepads are all great things to get.

10. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Mar 8, 2006

As a student teacher right now, I can say: YES! YES! YES! We want teacher stuff!!!! It will help out sooooooo much when we get our own classrooms, and it will be a way to always remember our days as a student teacher. The books, and letters from kids are a great idea!!! I can honestly say I would LOVE any of those gifts that have been mentoned so far!!!! :)

11. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 8, 2006

The shower idea is so cute! I guess I had one too but we didn't call it a shower and very few of the kids brought anything but of course I still cried (it was a surprise). I say teachery stuff. When she's been a teacher for a few years then she will prefer to get stuff unrelated to school, but right now she will love it. Though I doubt she'd complain about a massage!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 8, 2006

I'm a ST & I think these would be great gifts:

Gift cards for: Staples, Officemax, Starbucks, bookstores

As high as gas is these days, even gas cards since we had to drive to the school M-F w/o pay!

13. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

Cooperating Teacher Gift

I'm finishing up my student teaching and I am starting to brainstorm for a gift for my COOPERATING TEACHER. She is amazing and I really want to do something special for her. She has gotten me a few little things here and there and she is the type of person who I know will do something big for me on my last day. I want to do something over the top for her to show my appreciation and how much she inspired me. She has been teaching for almost 30 years, so I want it to be something personal, rather than something for the classroom. Any ideas?

14. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

Okay, so I was thinking of a few ideas for you.
    First, does you university have any awards or honors for CTs? I know some university honor outstanding CT.

Second, what about a "date" night. Maybe you could give her a movie and dinner gift card. Or if there is something coming up that you think she would be interested in like an art fair?

Third, what if you wrote a note to her principal or SU telling them about how awesome she has been as a ct. That would be nice to have in her file. She will always remember the thoughtful words.

Fourth, when I was ST is got my CT a Bread Maker. I know it sounds weird, however, she continued to talk about how she always wanted one and never bought one for herself. Does she talk about anything like that?

Oh, what about a relaxation basket. Soft music (CD), bubble bath, manicure kit,...

I think the basket idea would be nice. Coffe basket, date night, nails,...

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear what you get her.

Good luck! I am really glad that you are enjoying your ST.

15. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

Okay, I came up with part of an idea for my student teacher today. What if I got a collection of Kid's CD? I was thinking of including this into the teacher shower. Is that something that would be useful or should I spend more on teaching materials (books and supplies)?

16. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Mar 9, 2006

I think that Cd's would be helpful. However, I also feel that there are a lot of "depends on." For example, many teachers do not incorporate music into the classroom whether there is a music program or not. I personally enjoy music in the classroom. I have experimented with different styles during writing as well as use it for transitions. Is music something that she is interested in/will use? If so, Kids CDS would be perfect to include.

17. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 10, 2006

I love to play music for the children in the morning and I use it throughout the day to teach. I just go the new Curious George Soundtrack and it is awesome. I think that she would like the music and I hope that she takes away the importance of music in the students' lives, I was just wondering if you would rather have music or materials. I was planning on doing a little of each, but CD are so expensive.

18. MrsStephanie

MrsStephanie Rookie

Mar 26, 2006

When I graduated from student teaching (just 3 years ago) my CT couldn't afford to spend much money due to personal reasons so he had to be creative. Some of the things he gave me were...
    1. He die cut out a "Welcome to XXX Class!" (in double letters so there would be a shadow effect).
    2. Wrote out art lessons for me - he was a talented artist and in that district we taught art in the classroom once a week - since this was a very weak area for me these lessons meant a lot.
    3. A few children's books to start my own classroom library
    4. Some inexpensive supplies like a chalk holder, EZ grader, etc.
    5. An empty frame for my diploma or license

If money was no object additional things that would have been helpful are gift certificates to bookstores and a gift certificate to restaurant for when I'm exhausted after my first few days of teaching and don't want to cook!

19. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Apr 14, 2006

Today was my last day of student teaching and i totally did not expect all that the teacher and class did for me. I was blessed with a wonderful class and an amazing CT who i learned so much from. I put together a basket for her that had a picture frame, candle, nail polish, and the "Satin Hands" collection from Mary Kay (i got it half price since my sis is a consultant)...she absolutely loved it!!
    The kids wrote me letters and earlier in the semester had each taken individual pics w/me. The teacher mounted each pic on a piece of construction paper and each letter on another. She laminated and bound them and made me a memory book that had the students pics and letters in them. They also had class pictures while i was there and i was in it, so they mounted the class pic in a frame and had all the kids and my CT sign the matting stuff around the pic. I also got a huge basket that had teaching supplies, play money, books, etc. in it. (She had the parents chip in and help her get the stuff and do it all) I absolutely LOVE everything!!!
    My favorite was the class pic that the kids signed and the letters they wrote....They made me cry when i read everything after i got home!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 14, 2006

What really thoughtful people and gifts! Another idea would be a silver bracelet with a 'teacher' charm. Also, check out Homeroom magazine for great gifts. (I haven't gone online because we get it at school.)

21. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Apr 14, 2006

For my student teacher, I created a "Basket of School Goodies" for her. I secretly sent home a letter to the parents explaining what I was going to do at the end of her student teaching and asked them to send in all kinds of supplies (stickers, tape, magnetic letters, staples, crayons, etc). I purchased a teacher cart that I got at a Staples. She actually mentioned that she wanted one. So that week I purchased it and then had the children fill it in. I also created a slide show on the computer for her. Throughout the semester, I took pictures of her teaching and pictures of her with each child.

I have to say she loved it.

22. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

I stop student teaching on Cinco de Mayo. I would love all the teacher stuff I could get, especially books on theme building, quality children's literature, some great stickers, art supplies, bulletin board books, a gift certifictae to a book store or teacher supply store, books with word family exercises in them, stuff like that. It's tough having no money to start a classroom with! I've been collecting over the years, but I know I won't have what I need when I start. I like the idea of the students writing letters of reccommendation from the students... that would be precious to include in a portfolio! I know your student teacher will love her gifts!

23. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 6, 2006

For a student teacher how about a subscription to Mailbox of some other magazine?