Student teacher fears

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 31, 2002

I am only in my second week of student teaching and I feel like I have lost everything I ever learned. My teacher wants me to take over the classes staring next week. I constantly trip over my words, I feel like an idiot. I feel lost. I know I can be a good teacher, but I feel like a dope right now. It doesn't help that I am also married with three kids. I come home just wiped out.
    I like the students I am teaching (high school), but there are some who just sit there and refuse to do Anything. I know I can't save the world and that the first time out is hard, but this feeling of a fish out of water really sucks! :)

3. mandy1221

mandy1221 Rookie

Aug 31, 2002

Hang in there...student teaching is a very difficult time. You are coming into someone else's class, and following their procedures. Not only are you going through your student teaching, but you have to attend your college classes and still manage to have a life of your own. Trust me, student teaching is not what teaching is like. Don't get discouraged. I had an awful student teaching experience and I actually took a year off from teaching because I thought I would hate it. But I talked to a lot of teachers and they reassured me that I would have a completely different experience when I had my own classroom. Boy were they right!! I do things MY way not someone else's way...and you don't constantly have someone looking over your shoulder. Hang in there...you will be fine!:D

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 31, 2002

hang in there. You are having to work with someone elses ideas and room set up. relax, tripping over your words and "messing up" are part of it. You are nervous and that is understandable. When you get your own classroom, it will be a lot easier. You will beable to set up your room the way you want it and do the lessons the way you want to. The kids will be yours. these kids know that you are a student teacher so they will try you. Hang in there. Teaching is a real reward!!!!

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Sep 2, 2002

Yes... this is much more difficult than having your own classroom. The worst is almost over, and look forward to having an easier time when there are no graded lesson plans and constant monitoring. Student teaching made me want to leave the field, too- until I realized it was work for the college (such as detailed lesson plans) that was really pushing me over the edge.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2002

I too had a horrible student teaching experience. My college advisor wanted me to write out my lessons plans, so with the help of my advising teacher I did. Come to find out she wanted to know EXACTLY what I was going to say & EXACTLY how the children were going to respond! I lost all self-confidence in my abilities, and I knew I could do it and my advising teacher knew I could do it. I took some time off after I was done, then I subbed for 3 years while I thought things over. I ended up moving & then working with preschoolers while I got my confidence back. I'm now teaching Kindergarten & I look back on my student teaching as a learning experience on how to get along with the most know it all parent/principal, co-worker etc.! I love teaching!!

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 2, 2002

I think it is common to have negative student teaching experiences, unfortunately. It really is much different when you get out on your own!! :) I had 2 cooperating teachers, and thankfully my first one was very good and encouraging. Confidence is essential, and that's something I had always struggled with. My first block teacher built me up, and my second block teacher told me I was too confident. It was so bad that during the summer I had nightmares about her. Anyway, I really had a great first year, and it is so much more fun when you don't have "student teaching" looming over your head. Just hold your head high and keep your thoughts on why you are doing this. It's just a hurdle you have to climb. Also, it's probably for the better that the teacher is setting you loose... My first block teacher did that to me, and I was scared and a little resentful at first, but it was the best thing for me. Take it and run with it. My second block teacher wouldn't leave me alone with the kids, so I never really got the true experience.