Student Supplies?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SaraFirst, Apr 22, 2020.

1. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Apr 22, 2020

Just wondering...what are your schools doing about student supplies/belongings? We still have all of their things in their desks and cubbies. I'm hoping we do some sort of pick up day to send them home.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2020

Our students still have all of their stuff at school. Right now we don't know when/if we'll be going back before our year ends at the end of June. They have made arrangements, this week, for parents to be able to pick up any medications, glasses, etc. that may be in the building. The items must be deemed essential, though, they can't go in to pick up shoes or books, for example.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2020

We don’t have a finalized plan just yet, but we are talking about having each teacher clean out student lockers, put items in a bag, and give it to parents at drive through.

we also have to shut down rooms. Probably do it all the same day.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 22, 2020

When we prepare our May packets, we're cleaning out the desks and sending it home with the packets.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2020

DH is supposed to go clean out his room May 4th. They had their kids take all their stuff home the last day in the building because they were going to sanitize everything.

I may see about cleaning my room next week. Our last day is May 14.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 22, 2020

Our last day was March 18th. My district directed us to send everything home that day. We saw the writing on the wall. We knew we weren’t coming back (even though our governor hadn’t made the official announcement yet). It was a sad, sad day.

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Apr 23, 2020

I wish we had sent everything that last day. We found out we weren't coming back right after we sent the kids home! Of course, we thought it was just for 3 weeks at that time!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2020

We found out on the Thursday afternoon (at 4) before our spring break that we would be home for 2 weeks after the break week. I only had half of my class come to school on the Friday. Those who were there on Friday took home their gym clothes, running shoes, water bottles, and cleaned any trash or snacks out of their lockers. At that point, we had no way of knowing we'd be home for so long.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2020

My district is hoping to do some sort of pick up system where students have a chance to come get their things, and then possibly have teachers close down their rooms for the end of the year. They are waiting to see how things look and will decide if/when it's safe to do this. I suspect it would be later in the summer and not in May when we traditionally end. Students and staff were directed to take home personal belongings on our last day in March, but I'm sure many of the students didn't- especially supplies like pencil boxes, etc. At the time it was supposed to be a 2 week closure and while some predicted it would go longer, I don't think the vast majority of people were thinking at the time that it would be all year. Staff was allowed back in during a 2 hour window about 2 weeks later.

Personally I wouldn't be sad if we didn't have to do the check out process this year. It always seemed silly to me to take everything down/pack everything away only to get it all out again 2 months later.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 23, 2020

We haven’t yet been told how we are sending home students’ belongings. Teachers were able to sign up for a three hour window sometime this week or next to go in and get things from our classrooms that we might want before school resumes. I have to pack up because I’m moving rooms next year, but, for most teachers, the pack up is optional this year. The custodians will clean around the room set up.

12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 25, 2020

My school district will keep the student belongings over the summer if need be.
    The 5th, 8th, and 12th graders can get their belongings in June.

Luckily, I had my students take home most of their belongings before we left. I don't know why...I merely had a premonition that I should do that.

As far as my classroom goes, the school district requested that we could leave our classrooms that way they are currently set up. 1. In case, summer school is required. 2. It is a new policy, apparently. (Sorry, it is really early when I originally wrote this.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2020

They have changed our information since I last posted. We moved our last student day to May 8th. I got my room shut down yesterday. There were a few student items in the classroom, but most things are in their lockers. At some point we will have to clean out their lockers and package items for pickup by parents. We are supposed to get more specifics in the next week.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 26, 2020

Our aides worked on this last week. They had to clean out both regular and phy ed lockers. The pick-up begins tomorrow, and parents have been emailed route maps for each of our buildings. We’ll see how it goes!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 26, 2020

We are not allowed in the buildings as we are not considered essential to be at work, under Ohio’s definition. I think our Governor is doing a great job.

bella84 likes this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 26, 2020

That's great. Our orders say that we can be asked to come in for the purpose of facilitating distance learning. I guess packing up doesn't really count as "facilitating distance learning", but they aren't requiring that we pack up this year, and they also are saying this time is for us to go get anything we need for the remainder of remote instruction. I'm only packing up because I'm moving positions and rooms next school year.

17. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Apr 26, 2020

I'm also in Ohio, but we were allowed to go in to finalize our student packets. (We did have to have our temperatures taken and maintain social distancing.). The only other time anyone has been allowed to go in is to fill the food bags to hand out when parents drive through the parking lot. We are waiting to see what Gov. DeWine says about reopening the state at tomorrow's press conference but we're thinking we'll be allowed to pack up their supplies sometime in May. The kids have library books and things that they will need to return at some point too.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 27, 2020

I'm surprised none of the parents are demanding that the school supplies be sent home so they they don't have to get new supplies for distance learning!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 27, 2020

We're doing all meetings remotely. Our custodial crew is working, doing tasks often saved for the summer: waxing floors, switching out furniture, etc. Also, we are getting new bleachers in our gym (old ones were literally hazardous.) A few admins are there each day, and security walks through campus a few times a day. If you have an urgent need to get in, you can. We will have time to go in and close out our room sometime in the summer. There will be a schedule. We will also schedule appointments to close out paperwork with the bookkeepers.

20. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Apr 27, 2020

TeacherNY: Our principal did put some extra supplies outside of the school in case they needed them at home.