Student sues college because she did not find a job in 3 months

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ron6103, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Wow - I'm embarrassed for this girl. She needs a reality check.

My own daughter just graduated - with honors - from a private liberal arts college with a degree in English and Latin. She has been unable to find a job related to her degree (What? Latin doesn't open all doors to employment? Who woulda thought it?? LOL) She's heard all the old "Do you want fries with that?" jokes.

I am very proud of her, because she went to the mall and found a job by July and is plugging along waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. She jokes about using her English degree to write funny sales announcements at the store, but the manager came to visit yesterday and said he wants to send her announcements to corporate, that everyone should use them, that they are so clever, blah, blah..

She's networking. She's not waiting around for someone to hand her a job because she has college degree.

2. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

This is just plain silly. We cannot expect to find a job even if we have all the qualifications in the world. This board is proof of that. Sometimes, you are meant for a job. Sometimes you luck into a job, and sometimes you take a job just to make some money. But expecting the college to find you your dream job because you graduated from there is silly. Get a life.

3. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Wow..can we say spoiled??? I knew it was going to take a lot to find a job, although I was given "Oh they need teachers everywhere" speech. If that's the case, every college across the country should be getting sued. This girl needs to wake up.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

I agree...and maybe that was her point of mentioning that she had a good attendance record...but she DOES stress the 2.7...so she must think that that really matters as well.

As people have mentioned on this board...sometimes grades DON'T matter (A number of principals report that if they always DID- that most of their staff would have been gone-as well as themselves.)

It's a matter of how SHE has presented her arguement.