Student sues college because she did not find a job in 3 months

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ron6103, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 3, 2009

Interesting but the world doesn't owe you crap. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you are guaranteed a job to begin with. Not only that but someone is deluding this person to think that a 2.7 GPA is stellar enough to grab just any business' attention. PULLEEZZEE.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

She's ridiculous. A 2.7 GPA? Come on! Effort is the key word here.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

A college is responsible for providing an opportunity for learning. That's all.

"...the stress of her three-month job search." Whatever!

And the whole thing about the GPA, that takes the cake.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2009

Wow, people will really sue for just about anything. And if three months of job searching is too stressful for her, wow. How about people with children who have been out of a job for over a year? Who are they supposed to sue for their stress? Crazy, just crazy.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

Yeah.... I posted it before typing to give myself some time to formulate my thoughts. But, I almost choked on the water I was drinking when I read the article.

First of all, since this become very public, no company will ever hire her now. Welcome to the black list.

Secondly, this just continues to show our lawsuit culture gone completely and totally haywire. To sue because you couldn't find a job? Has she looked up the term "recession"? There are millions who can't find jobs, and they aren't blaming somebody else for it. My god..... instead of spending all this time and effort on a law suit, perhaps she should be sending out resumes?

Oh this whole thing just drives me nuts.

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 3, 2009

I heard this on our local radio station this morning and thought "what?". In this economy, half the country could be trying to sue their colleges for not finding employment! Get real!! Just my :2cents:

9. teachall

teachall Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

Is this person for real?! I am just dumb struck. People today just think everything should be handed to them without any effort.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

Yet another spoiled brat who thinks the world revolves around her.

Oh, I'm SURE that this will have potential employers lining up to hire her!!!!:lol::lol:

And I bet her parents are so proud!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 3, 2009

How long until it gets thrown out of court with a huge LOL?

12. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I heard this last night on the news and I was just dumbfounded! A college does guarantee you a job when you get out of college. You have to look for it and earn it! How many of us on here have spent over 3 months looking for a job? We didn't sue anyone! This is just plain crazy!

13. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I hate to be the one who disagrees.

This isn't a regular college she went to, it's a vocational school/trade school. A lot of those school tout their job placement. The whole reason many go is for their job placement services. She could have gotten a 4 year degree at a state college for cheaper.

For $70,000, the job placement office should should be a little more competent. Where IS this $70,000 going? This is a for profit "university" that is a scam.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

But we're in an economic freefall- jobs are incredibly hard to come by.

And certainly for people who think a 2.7 GPA is something to brag about.

15. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

While I don't think she has a snowball's chance in hell of winning, I think she's trying to make a point.
    My university supervisors mandated the mantra, "There is a teacher shortage" over and over again.
    Even when I asked them about the recent wave of pinkslips and the state budget crisis they waved that off nervously.
    Maybe this student doesn't expect to win but maybe she also feels that her education department should be held accountable for spreading the great teacher shortage myth.
    Maybe I am giving her too much credit?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

She's not a teacher.

"Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology. "

And talk about biting off your nose to spite your face!

17. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I just read the story. I should have read it before I responded to it.
    In other words, nevermind.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

The college should sue her for filing a frivolous lawsuit. And she should get off her hoity-toity butt and go look for a job the way all the thousands of other unemployed people are.

19. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

I have to agree. I worked as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for many years and these schools were the bane of my existence.
    They have been pulling this scam for 20 years. So many of my clients came in with expensive brochures and stars in their eyes thinking these places were the answer to all their problems.

-First the admissions representatives sell a hard sale. They dress in expensive suits and sit in leather chairs in beautiful offices. They tell potential students they can get a job making a good salary upon graduation. In reality, the students cannot get jobs in their "major" because the labor market calls for more skills and experience than the students have upon graduating.

-Second, the students take out huge loans, which they cannot pay back with the entry level wages they earn upon graduating.

-Third, the admissions representatives guarantee 80 to 90% placement within 3 months. They don't say what jobs the students get- entry level jobs that can be attained without any training or education.

-Fourth, generally the units do not transfer to most colleges or universities. These schools are "accredited" but by some lame organization.

-Fifth, the placement counselors suck. The give the students ads from the newspaper. Seldom do they have contacts in the field, and if they do they are few and far between. Their resumes are just a cookie cutter advertisement for the school.

-Lastly, after the three months, placement services are over and the student is left out in the cold.

I believe in "consumer beware", but the schools prey on the desperate and uneducated. This girl's story is the rule rather than the exception.

Oh boy, I better get off my soapbox now!

20. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I agree that her case would be much stronger if she had a higher GPA. To me, a 2.7 suggest mediocre effort or a lack of mastery, so it's going to be harder for her to get a job.

Now, I'm not totally mean. I had a HORRIBLE GPA in my major and you know what? That really was from a lack of mastery, so I chose not to go into that field. As a side note, I hate when applications want my major GPA. What does the fact that I sucked in my real estate classes have to do with how well I would teach, or how academically inclined I am overall?

And maybe if we were in a booming economy, this would make more sense. But many highly skilled people are having trouble finding jobs right now, so it seems like a frivolous lawsuit to me.

21. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Geez. I hope that this lawsuit gets thrown out. If every body could sue when they don't get a job after graduating college, there would be 50 million lawsuits. So, my question, what makes her special? Especially during this recession.

22. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I think this is totally bogus and frivolous, BUT, maybe it will bring some attention to college career centers and advising centers not always looking out for students.

I am really proud of my school in this respect--we were offered so many career resources, right down to video taped practice interviews and wardrobe advice. They even offer a dining session for recruiter dinners. They also are upfront about how to be competitive in a saturated major (ie biology majors are not accepted into the masters program unless they will be dual certified because they can no longer effectively help place graduates).

But, yeah, this case is stupid. One thing the career center would tell ANY student with a 2.7 gpa is to get their act together and do some serious resume boosting to try to make themselves marketable. And even if she had a 4.0, nobody needs to hand her a job. Not even Harvard does that--it is up to students to work the connections they are offered and hustle their rears and make/find their own opportunities.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

It sounds to me like it's a real school. Taken from the school's website:

"Accreditation

Monroe College is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation.

The college is authorized by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York to confer the Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.), Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degrees. Its curricula are registered by the State Education Department. "

It's accredited by both Middle States and the Board of Regents. It's a real college.

24. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

Okay, I'm back on my soapbox for one more thing. These schools take in ANYONE. Most require a GED or HS Diploma. They give an entrance test that my cat could pass. Many students don't have the ability to learn the materials let alone work in the field. I've had clients who passed the entrance exams and wanted training in Pharmacy Technician, Computer Technician, Computerized Business Skills who could not speak a word of English or had 4th grade Math and English skills :dizzy:

25. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

This may be a fantastic school I'm not familiar with NY schools. In order for units to be transferrable here the school must be associated with WASC. The vocational schools I used had to be approved by BPPVE (which I don't think is in existence anymore due to budget cuts a few years ago). I found for every good school there were 4 bad ones.

26. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Someone else just looking for their 15mins. or their own reality show.

27. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

If I were an employer, I'd be pretty wary of hiring this girl now that I know how litigious she is.

28. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

For the record, the Middle States Association of Schools is the same as the WASC.... just the local version. The nation has several region accrediting bodies to help spread the workload of overseeing so many schools. Any school with Middle States accreditation would transfer anywhere, nationwide.

That said, I agree on some level with career centers generally being terrible. Outside of offering some resume help, mine was useless. They had no contacts for school districts outside of what I could get from the internet myself.

That said, I wasn't about to go sue them for it......

29. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

I agree with you guys. No one is entitled to a job after getting a degree from a legitimate school- with accreditation and entrance requirements. You take your degree and look for a job like everyone else. However, there are a lot of fly-by-night vocational schools that should (and have been) sued for false advertisement and other fraudulent practices.

30. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

*2.7? Sheesh... I am pi$$ed off at my 3.85 (I could kick both myself and the 2 professors in the butts...but mostly ME). Honey- trust me... my 3.85 doesn't have them running to knock on my door either!

*Good Attendance.... I'm still laughing about this one!

*A three-month search? And you get your money back? Sign me up!

*So she's in business...I think that THAT has to have more potential than elementary ed right now. Maybe I'll trade places with her. Let her see what REAL dead-ends are like!

*Let's think about this logic... you go NATIONAL with your full name and the fact that after 3 disappointing months of ... probably the same ... "hard" (*cough cough*) effort that earned you that 2.7... and you think a company will want to hire you? What will you sue THEM for?

What sort of suit would I have against my university?

31. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Ok...I graduated 3 months ago from a university that boasts a 99% job placement rate...at least that's what they said when I first started there. It's a good university, and well-known in my area.

Yes, I'm disappointed that I don't have a teaching job yet. BUT....I realized at graduation that about 2/3 of the graduates (in the adult program alone) were education majors. Who knows how many of them were for elementary (my certification)? There are 3 universities in a 45 mile radius of my house, with another that is within 100 miles, and there are probably several hundred people in the same situation I am.

I'm thankful I do have a job. I just pray that I am able to get a position in the next couple of years, or I will have to retake some exams because of some state changes. I think I have until 2011.

Anyway.....who does she think she is?? This economy is tough enough. She is a business major in New York. Need I say more? The article said something along the lines of peppering the area with cover letters and resumes. Notice she didn't say how many applications she sent out.

The article also stated she didn't hire an attorney because she couldn't afford one. I imagine they would've declined her petition. No telling how many laughed because they couldn't believe she was serious.

I'm with some of these others. How many people could sue their universities because they couldn't find jobs within 3 months? I can count 3 people right off the bat because 2 are friends of mine, and the other is me. Work right out of college is never guaranteed, especially in our economy.

This person needs a cold dose of reality. People aren't just going to hand a job over to someone because of a 2.7 GPA or because of where they graduated. Believe me....I thought I was a shoe-in because of my 3.84 GPA and high test scores, and they haven't helped me. They're looking for ability, not just brains.

I wonder how far this lawsuit is going to go.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  32. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2009

A friend of mine's son went to a fast track college in Florida for technology/media arts...not mentioning the name, but I am SURE you have seen it advertised.

After he came out of there...and he and his folks were a LOT poorer for the effort...he couldn't find a job at ALL. And the university's good -national- name? Yes, it WAS nationally known in the field...it was a JOKE in the field!

He finally got a job...but not because of the school...but the training he had gotten at the church (technology/production crew) we had attended BEFORE he ever went.

A year or two later, a kid at a summer job I had was so excited to be considering this college... and I told him to RUN! (Thankfully, he did!)

33. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 4, 2009

I saw this on the news, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous!!!

34. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

OMG! This girl needs a reality check. To bad she can't go in front of Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown. They would eat her cake.

35. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

I think suing is ridiculous, but because I don't understand the American GPA system, I cannot comment further.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2009

Canadian Gal, the American GPA works like this: 4 points for every A, 3 points for every B, and so on. The student in question has a B-minus average.

37. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Thanks TeacherGroupie. It never made any sense. I finished University with 77% GPA and high school with an 86% - that makes sense to me, lol.

A low B- average in this market and she expects a job? Sorry, but I mean, my average was overlooked because of my ability to coach extra curricular activities (4 sports) my ability to speak another language, and my letters of recommendation... unless she has other skills to go along with her degree, she shouldn't be suing.

38. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

It took me 4 months....and even then...the top reason I got called for an interview (and I think possibly helped me to get the job) was that my student teaching professor person also was the student teaching professor person (sorry i can't remember their names lol) for the principal that hired me! It helps when you know someone....Who knows how long it would have taken otherwise because I never did get calls for any other interviews.....

40. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

Even if she had a high gpa around 3.5 or more, that still doesn't mean she would have been a good employee to a company that would hire her.

She could be a good worker with a 2.7 gpa vs someone who has a 3.8 gpa and doesn't get along with coworkers and is often lazy. It's happened before.

Just because you did well in college doesn't mean you will do well in the workplace.

41. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

This student is not mature enough to have job at all. After reading this I doubt any employer will hire this 27 year-old baby who throws a tantrum when things don't go her way. Life presents you nothing but opportunities, it's up to you how you face and handle them.