Student self check and goal setting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 3rdGradeHeaven, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 3rdGradeHeaven

3rdGradeHeaven New Member

Jul 22, 2011

Hi! This is my first time posting and I am hoping you wonderful teachers can help me. I am looking for a way to help my students keep track of their own grades and set goals for themselves. I'd like each student to be able to keep a running record of their test and independent work grades. I am hoping this would help them be more accountable for their own work and help them set goals for themselves. How can they keep track of this information? Thank you in advance for your help!:)

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

My school does this for everything. I love it! It definitely keeps the students more accountable and provides great intrinsic motivation. It's always surprising to us when we get middle of the year transfers and the kids have no idea what reading level they're on!

I'll tell you how the gen ed teachers do theirs since my IEP goal system won't be relevant to you :). They have a binder for each student. Each binder has a tab for each subject.
    Reading: The students keep a bar graph of their reading level throughout the year. We use LBD, so the levels are letters. At the beginning of the year, their sheet will say "I am currently at a level D, and I want to be at a level M by the end of the school year" or whatever on it. Then everytime the teacher retests levels (at least 4 times a year) the student fills in what level they are on their bar graph. They also keep all of their test scores in a little list in the binder.
    Spelling: Students keep a list of scores to see if they are improving.
    Writing: Students keep samples and scored rubrics, and they have a little chart that shows their number grade (we use the 1-4 system) so they can track their progress over the year.
    Math: Students fill in bar graphs for how many facts they know (addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc.) every few weeks or so. They also keep math test scores.

We also do student led conferences, so students are responsible for sharing all this information with parents themselves.

4. 3rdGradeHeaven

3rdGradeHeaven New Member

Jul 22, 2011

Thank you, waterfall, for sharing this info! Unfortunately, we don't track student's reading levels in third grade :( This makes it all the more difficult for students to know how well they are doing in reading. We determine mastery of objective by weekly reading test. A method I have found to be hardly effective.

I will see if I can incorporate some of your ideas.

5. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 23, 2011

This past year I had my 3rd graders make a bar graph of their weekly reading test scores. I made a chart for each unit with a column for the reading objective for the week (i.e. main idea, compare, author's purpose, etc.). As we went along, the kids could see how they were doing and in what specific objective they were strong or weak. It held them accountable and it was effective. I plan on doing this for every subject this upcoming year.

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

This is a great idea that has been in my mind for a while. I think I'm going to have some students keep a folder where they can keep track of their grades and goals. I would prefer using a binder that they can use to keep track of all subjects but I'm not sure if my team would want to do it as it would seem more work for them. I'll start with my math class to give it a try and then take it from there.