Student publishing or student treasures?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ahodge79, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jan 1, 2013

Hello,
    Last year I did an awesome book publishing project with my kiddos through Tikatok, but now that program is shut down. I was looking for a new place to publish student works. So far I have found studentpublishing.com and studentreasures.com; both offer FREE student made book publishing.... do you have experience with either of these, what do you recommend? Are there any others I haven't considered yet?

Thank you!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 2, 2013

I believe it is student treasures that my class did last year. I see you teach first grade; in the program we did at least first and second and maybe even third only got one free book per class. In fourth and fifth each student got a copy of their book. I guess the theory was primary classes would write a class book or each kid would contribute a page, while in the upper grades each kid wrote the entire book.

Our principal wanted us to do it again this year, but the staff was not interested. It took a lot of time, for not enough results, in our opinion.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 2, 2013

I've used the treasures company. I liked it for my fourth graders since they worked on an individual book but didn't like it for second grade with the class book.

5. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jan 2, 2013

I use student treasures with my preschoolers every year for the past 7 years. It is a lot of work to create the book but my students are so proud to be published. Their customer service is wonderful and very helpful.

6. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jan 2, 2013

I'm looking at using Studentpublishing.com with my 7th graders for our unit on personal essays or personal narratives. I like the fact that each of my classes can work together to create one class book filled with their stories.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jan 2, 2013

I have used student treasures for the last 5 years. This year I am in charge for the school! :eek:

I really like it, but you only get a class book for grades K-3 and you can either do individual or classbooks in grades 4 on up!

The parents are really impressed with the final product and the kids learn about the writing process and book making process!

8. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jan 8, 2013

So you can't choose to do individual books for the lower grades? I don't think that will work. It's definately a lot of work, but I was really happy with the pride the students had and excitement for reading.

Are there any other book publishing sites out there?

9. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jan 9, 2013

You can do it for the younger grades, but you will have to claim them as 4th graders! I am helping one of our schools do that. They wanted to make individual books, but were not 4th graders. So we just went around the system a little! :) Hope that helps!