Student Privacy Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by elysiansmiles, Oct 25, 2009.

1. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

Hi,
    I am currently considering leaving my teaching position and applying to law school. As I am writing my law school essay, I wanted to discuss an incident that happened in my classroom concerning my involvement with a special education student and some legal issues surrounding it. It is really a good example of my navigation of and aptitude for the law, but I don't want to include anything that would violate student privacy rights or would otherwise be tactless. Is it all right to discuss the situation at all? I would not use any kind of name, I wouldn't mention the disability, and I am trying to be as vague as possible while still getting my point across. I do want to discuss how I handled the situation because I think it will strengthen my application. Can anyone see anything wrong with discussing it?

(I suppose a similar question would arise if you wanted to discuss situations with past students at a future job interview for teaching as well. Does anyone see that situation as different?)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2009

I think it would be fine to discuss the student and situation as long as you don't provide any information which would make it possible to identify the student.

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 25, 2009

I think that so long as you don't include any real names and change any identifying details, you should be all right.