Student Perceptions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lolal, Oct 26, 2015.

1. lolal

lolal New Member

Oct 26, 2015

Hello. I am currently in my second year teaching in a public school (5th year teaching overall), and it has been, for the most part, a really positive experience. However, my neighboring teacher is making (albeit indirectly) my life very difficult. The students have a perception (an accurate one, from what I hear) that her classes don't do anything. Thus, I have one group in particular who is constantly uncooperative and complaining to my administration to switch out of my class. My principal had asked me why students were asking her to switch out, so I told her (in person, not in writing) that there is a perception that other classes don't do as much work. She seemed to have understood what I was saying. Now, whenever a student asks, I say, "We are all following the same curriculum. Other classes won't be any different," as our curriculum is very structured, with project assignments and all.

Here's what I've done so far:
    • Seating arrangements to surround the worst students with the better students
    • Kept in close contact with the parents of particularly negative students
    • Submitted discipline referrals, which result in detentions
    • Illustrated the curriculum to students to show them that, according to the district, we are doing what we should be doing.
    Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? I have no behavioral issues in my other classes; just this one. The teacher is already on an "action plan." I'm kind of at my wit's end with them.

3. Culturanta

Culturanta Rookie

Oct 26, 2015

I am not sure I am in the "same" situation per se, but I might be in a similar one. I am one of a very few teachers who holds very high expectations for the students - meaning, the dress code must be followed, no cell phones out/visible (let alone in use), etc.........

One of my classes is a very immature group of 9th graders, and they rebel at every request I make, chiefly because in their view, I am "bogus" (ergo, nobody else wants them to follow the rules so I have no right to do so either). My other classes consider me overly strict but follow my rules. Overall I have good rapport with all of my students, including those in the problematic class, but in a group dynamic any personal rapport is

Today I had to kick out two students from this class after they became hostile, belligerent, disruptive, and irate during class time. They were deeply offended that after weeks of observing them bopping to You Tube videos rather than doing their work during computer lab time, I finally decided to block You Tube completely. This to them was a gross violation of their civil rights.

Their argument was "we do our work while we listen to music," however their work completion rate and scores argue otherwise......hence my decision today to pull the plug on You Tube.

This is my first year at a public HS after spending the first 5 years of my career in urban charter schools. I'm disheartened by the low expectations admin holds for our students which result in behavioral issues and a general lack of respect for the learning environment. In many ways the charters were a better environment. MUCH to my surprise as I had been trying to get into a unionized public school for years. Now that I'm there I can see the grass is sometimes browner!

Depending on your philosophy/admin support/student and parent makeup, I would hesitate to provide them with what MAY seem to them like explanations for why you are making your decisions. You are in charge of the classroom, not them, and you need to cover what YOU need to cover, not them. I know for my own classes, including the rough one described above, I am striving toward more student-centered assignments a la Danielson and where possible, making the content relatable and interesting to them. I have a curriculum I have to follow which means I am limited but I do have some flexibility.