Student passed away

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by cmgeorge626, May 11, 2008.

1. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

May 11, 2008

One of our fourth graders and her mother were killed in a car accident over the weekend. I teach in a small town and many of my students were close to this girl. We will have counselors at school tomorrow, but has anyone else dealt with this before? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 11, 2008

It is one of the hardest things to deal with. It's wonderful that they will have the counselors. They didn't at my school. Just be there for your kids and don't be afraid to let them see you cry. Try to keep things fairly normal for the day. The routine helps. We had a remembering time in the morning, they all wrote letters to the child we had lost, and I gave those to his mom later. The rest of the day we took things easy, but I tried to keep them fairly busy with easy things.
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 11, 2008

When I was in second grade, on my way home on the bus, the bus ran over and killed one of my friends. It was quite traumatic for many of us because the driver didn't realize what had happened until we started screaming because we saw his body behind the bus.

There was a team of counselors that worked with us for a long time. I think I went for 30 minutes a week for almost a year.

She gave us hope, let us cry, whatever.

As a school we took up donations in his memory and they had a bronze statue made of him to put in the school. They also planted a tree in his family's yard.

Just remember, everyone will deal with it in different ways and for some students it takes a long time to "sink in", so just keep an eye on them and let them know you're there.

Kelly

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 11, 2008

I am so sorry this happened! Though I don't have any suggestions, the family, personal and school, are in my prayers.

6. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

May 18, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about your school's loss. It is such a tramatic thing to hear of a child's death.

I remember as a kid a boy at our school had gotten killed and as a rememberance we planted a tree at our school. It was a conforting thing for me. I was small, but somehow that tree reminded me of him and I knew it was there whenever I passed by. My thoughts are with you and your community.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 18, 2008

I don't have advice, but my heart goes out to you and your school. We had a similar incident where a family of 6 died flying home from February vacation. Counselors were available and kids were able to talk if and when they needed it. I'm so sorry for this terrible tragedy!!!!!!!!

8. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

May 18, 2008

How are you and your class doing? Losing a student was one of the hardest things I have had to deal with....you and your kiddos are in my prayers.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2008

Awww...In first grade you would think you would never have to deal with this kind of thing. I can't imagine.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 18, 2008

We had a memory garden at my old school. We placed a marked stone there for lost students, staff and their family members.

11. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

May 18, 2008

Thank you all for your support. I was blessed, and so far none of my kids seemed to know about it. The other first grade class had a couple of little girls that were very close to the child that passed. They are dealing with it in their own way. The fourth graders seem to be doing as well as can be expected and are finding ways to remember her. I think it will just take time.