Student Participation

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Bogart, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

In my 6th grade language arts class, it's always the same 3 or 4 that raise their hand to answer questions. What are some tricks you guys use to increase student participation? Thanks!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2006

I have index cards with the students' names on them. I shuffle them at the beginning of class and use them to call on kids so everyone is called on at some point.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2006

I have the students names on popsicle sticks in a cup. When I want to call on a student I pull a stick. I put the stick right back in the cup so the students never know when they might get called on. This keeps all of them alert!

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 20, 2006

Rosieo, that's a good idea to put the stick back into the cup. I keep it out to call on different people, but I think some of them do figure out that once their name has been called, they're off the hook for awhile. I've also thought about making two or three sticks for each name, so that I don't end up calling the same person over and over again, but they could get called several times before I put sticks back in.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2006

If you do that then some names could be called 3 times and others never (since you run out of time).

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2006

Usually throughout the day all the kids will get called on at one point or another. Some more than others on some days but it pretty much seems to even out.

Steph - I like the idea of having 2 or 3 sticks with names on it. Good idea.

8. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Sep 21, 2006

It's actually no that hard to get 100% class participation...

First, instead of asking a question and waiting for the usual hands to rise, have ALL students write down an answer to your question.

Next, have students pair & share their answers.

While students are sharing answers you want to use the "interaction sequence". This is one of the most effective strategies in teaching. All you do is "interview" the students as they share their answers. The student either knows the answer or doesn't, but by the time you are done "interviewing" them they definitely know the answer.

Then when their discussion time is over you simply call on the students who you know have the right answer. Not only does this increase class particiaption but it is by far the best strategy for improving student self-esteem.

If you need more strategies like this you should check out my ebook "52 teaching Tips" in my sig file.

--Adam

9. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

I use the index cards as well. To discourage those who would answer "I don't know." I tell them that I'll come back to them in a minute for the answer and move on, returning after a couple of more students.

10. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 26, 2006

I have 3 LA classes (block, 7th grade), and I have 3 tall plastic colored cups labeled for each class. I went to Hobby Lobby (or any craft store) and I bought colored craft sticks (bigger popsicle sticks). I have a total of 6 colors. For each class, I have a different color for boys and girls. That way I can mix it up. Students are always watching to see if they get picked on. After I pull them all out, I put them all back in (very loudly), mix them, up and start again... That way the kids know that we started again and I'm not just picking on people again.

Now, if I see that a kid is being inattentive, I'll pretend that I pulled that kid's stick... lol... Kids know that they can't say "I don't know" in my class. I keep 100 points for participation for each kid. They know that I will dock them if they don't play by my rules. Also, if we are going over homework, and I call on a kid who didn't do his HW, then he knows he has to participate.... this rules out the thinking, I didn't do my HW so I don't have to participate... I run a tight ship! :)

11. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Sep 26, 2006

I use stickers and extra credit tickets. I've had batches that will do *anything* for a sticker (I'm talking even 12th graders!). My in-class extra credit is under the philosophy that a good verbal answer is equal to a correct answer on a test/quiz. (They're used to negate inncorrect test questions; they can't put a student over 100%. I explain that it's used kind of like insurance. :) )

12. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Sep 26, 2006

start one day giving a prize to all who answer, you'll participation will increase IMMEDIATELY. Dont' tell them why or how often this will happen, just do it randomly. I promise, it'll work!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 27, 2006

Ask a question, everyone thinks, then you say something like, "Anyone with their shoes tied, raise your hand to answser." Vary the criteria to keep them on their toes.