Student Panel

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennaleigh, Jun 8, 2015.

1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 8, 2015

So, I just got a call for an interview on Thursday (yay!). It's for a middle school sixth grade teaching position.

The principal said there will be three parts to the day. The first will be a student-led tour/history lesson of the school, the third is a panel interview with the principal and team members from sixth and eighth grade. The second part he called a "student panel," but they won't be asking me questions. It will be a group of 10 students from 5th - 8th grade. He said I don't have to make/bring in a lesson, but it is a chance for him to see my approach to teaching. The focus/topic is PBIS (positive behavior interventions and supports) and their motto that goes along with it, "be safe, be respectful, be responsible." He mentioned doing a demonstration or a Q/A with the students as some of the possibilities. I will have around 20 minutes with the students.

I'm totally at a loss for what to do! I think a Q/A or a simple demonstration isn't good enough. I am thinking I should do something hands-on, student-centered, and that involves them doing more talking/actions than me. I was thinking of bringing in posterboard and markers, splitting them into groups, and having them draw and describe what being "safe, respectful, and responsible" is to them. Maybe I could have them write an acrostic poem with SAFE, RESPECTFUL, and RESPONSIBLE (maybe just with one of the words to save time) to describe what being those things means.

Is that too boring? Do I sound completely off the mark as to what he's looking for? This is only the third interview I've ever had, one was just with the principal and some staff and one was just a screening, so I've never done a demo lesson or anything of the sort. Just trying to think of something engaging, appropriate for middle schoolers, about safety/responsibility/respect, that shows off my teaching skills. It's tough!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 9, 2015

First, congratulations on getting the interview. I hope you get the job. Sixth grade is a great place to be.

I have never had an interview like that, so I'm just trying to brainstorm with you here. What subject(s) are you interviewing for? And does the mini-lesson/activity need to be about PBIS, or do they just want to see you demonstrating an understanding of PBIS?

4. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 9, 2015

Thank you! They are looking to fill multiple positions, and the job posting didn't say which content area, so I'm not sure. But I have a certificate in social studies so I'm assuming that's most likely where they'd place me if I got an offer.

The mini-lesson/activity needs to be about PBIS. He said this is the topic and then whatever I do he will look at to examine my teaching methods. I had another idea which was to role-play. I would create a jar with sentence strips and have a student read the sentence. I would act out the bad behavior, and then we would discuss how to make the behavior better, and if the behavior was under the safe, respectful, or responsible category. Then I would have a student or group of students act out the good behavior. Or something along that lines. I just thought that might be more active and engaging than having them create a poster.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 9, 2015

Jenna, that sounds like a fabulous idea! I think the kids will LOVE it!

6. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 9, 2015

I think this is a good idea. Good luck!

7. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 9, 2015

Thank you both bandnerdtx and OneBerry! I will let you know how it goes. :)

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 9, 2015

I've never heard of this type of interview! I am totally confused on why they said you don't have to plan anything but it seems like you do.
    Since they are older, maybe they can do some role playing activities on the topic? Showing what they should do and what they shouldn't do as students. Good luck!

9. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 9, 2015

That's what I'm thinking of doing :) Hopefully they will enjoy it. Thank you!

10. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 9, 2015

I think I am going to modify my role playing idea a bit...I will have 10 students so I am thinking I will create five sentence strips that describe bad behavior (pocketing money found on the ground, trashing the bathroom, not listening to a teacher, etc.) One pair of students will come up and pick a sentence strip, and have to act it out without using words - charades! The other 8 students will have to guess what bad behavior they are doing. They'll have about 30 seconds to guess before I tell them. After, we will discuss why the behavior was bad and if it was not being safe, not being respectful, not being responsible, or a combination of two or three of those. Then the two students will get to act out how they would fix the situation - using words if they want - so turning in the money to the office, listening to the teacher, etc.

I'm hoping this will go well and the students will enjoy it!

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2015

I like your idea, but I think I would have both positive & negative behaviors on the strips. Discussions still could center on what makes it right or wrong. Students should be familiar with PBIS terminology, so it should go well.

12. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 11, 2015

I think another idea that would be fun is a problem solving situation. You could propose a certain issue that the school could be having (graffiti, students dressing inappropriately, leaving a mess in the cafeteria) and have the students brainstorm solutions, evaluate pros and cons, and decide next steps to take to implement the solution.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 11, 2015

The role-playing sounds like a good idea. Make sure that you use topics that would be high interest to students - bullying, online behavior, cell phone etiquette, plagiarism come to mind when I think of my class.

14. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 11, 2015

I took your advice and did it this way, and it went great! They had their own little evaluations of me they filled out, and there was no teacher watching. Just me and the kids.

I find out tomorrow if I got the job!

Thanks again for the advice.

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2015

I am glad that it went well and I hope that you get the job.

16. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 11, 2015

I don't know why I didn't see this until right now...but I love this idea. Will keep this in mind for the future for sure. Thanks :)

Love these topics!

17. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 11, 2015

Thank you :)