Student of the Week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Do any of you do a "Student of the Week" or "Star Student" program in your classroom? This is where you feature each student for one week - they bring in items to share with the class, and everyone has a week to "shine". I'm thinking about doing this with my grade 3 class this year, but I'm interested to know how others organize this. I would do a class interview on Monday where we create a biography for the star student. The student could bring in items to share on Tues-Thurs -- meaningful things like family photos, souvenirs, a favourite snack, etc. On Friday each member of the class would write an acrostic poem for the star student using the letters of the star's name.

What do you do for your star student?

How do you handle 4-day weeks? I'm thinking I would just skip those weeks, since I should have more than enough weeks to get everyone in.

3. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Your idea sounds great but, do you have the extra time to do it all?

I do Student of the Week in my 3rd grade room, as well. What I do is look at my roster and see when everyone's birthday is. Then I plan for the kids to be student of the week as close to their birthday as possible. For summer birthdays, I just fill them in on the calendar on weeks with no student of the week afterwards. I send home a poster for the student to work on and they bring it in Monday, I display it on a bulletin board all week and on Friday the student gets to share! It worked out very well last year.

Good Luck! :)

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

When I did my ST in 2nd, here's what we did... took about 5 minutes before lunch each day.

Monday: they brought in the "all about me" poster they completed with their family over the weekend and shared it with the class.

Tuesday-Friday, they could bring in one favorite toy/book/collection/etc to share from home each day. What did you bring, why is it special to you, etc. Kids could ask questions, but they had to be QUESTIONS or COMPLIMENTS... it took a lot of modeling until they realized "I have a doll like that" isn't either. :)

On Friday, the kids all contributed to a "I like ___ because ___" list, and that got laminated and sent home with the child. (I like Sarah because she's a good friend. I like Sarah because she always shares the playground toys. I like Sarah because she helps me with my math.). Also, the current star picked next week's star out of a can.

Although we had jobs assigned, Star of the Week got special privileges (sit in a particular chair during story time, etc) or filled in jobs when that child wasn't here.

5. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 10, 2009

My Student of the Week sits in a special chair and does teacher assistant jobs. At the end of the week, the student shares an All About Me poster that goes into a end of the year book.

6. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I call mine student in the spotlight but they're all the same thing. It's funny because I end up calling them the student of the week or star student and they like to correct me -- don't you mean student in the spotlight, Ms. Yi???

Anyway, here's what I do:

Monday - share all about me poster
    Tuesday - bring in one item for show and tell
    Wednesday - share photos of family and friends - can even be a slideshow
    Thursday - bring in a book to share
    Friday - share your favorite snack with the class

I skip 4 day weeks too.

I used to select students by behavior but after having a very concerned parent asking me why her daughter was picked so close to the end of the year and having no good reason to give her except there were other more well-behaved students (which I, of course, did not say) I decided to just pick them randomly alternating between boys and girls. I would also have the current student in the spotlight pick the next one from a cup of popsicle students.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

mine is so similar also

Friday - randomly pick a new student of the week and send home an all about me poster to complete over the weekend

Monday - display the poster, and talk about it
    Tuesday - Estimation Jar - Have sutdents fill up a jar with something - at home - then have the students guess how many are in it, count and sort
    Wednesday - Favorite book - read the class their favorite book
    Thursday - Class Book - each student can make a picture for their friend to put into a class book, or on chart paper, each student can write on one poster - nice messages
    Friday - share a snack or just something fun from home, a favorite toy or stuffed animal - anything that they want to share.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I just recommend sending home all the star student posters in the beginning weeks of school. Give the class 2 weeks to complete them and have them returned by a certain date. Then you have all the posters at your disposal and kids won't have just a weekend to complete them (especially if it's their birthday celebration weekend or soccer tournament weekend with no time!).

Our Kinder did something like: Monday - present the poster
    Tuesday - bring a favorite read aloud (someone from home can come read it if they wish)
    Wednesday - lunch with a loved one
    Thursday - note or video clip from Mom/Dad about a funny story they remember about the child
    Friday - show-and-tell item from home

9. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I pick students based on behaviors. I always tell my kids that they will not be student of the week if they don't deserve it. They need to be a model for others. It provides motivation, but I do see to it that all students get it at least once. But they must show great behavior or significantly improved behavior. I refuse to provide recognition and praise "just because." Then it is meaningless IMO.

My Student of the Week gets a special pencil and magnet on Monday. They get to be the line leader all week and may borrow my special books. They get sharing time of Friday and may take a special tote bag home to bring it in.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Do you think this would be age appropriate for 4th graders? I like this idea.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I think you can get away with doing it in 4th grade. I would have liked it in 4th!

12. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

I do Star of the Week in 2nd grade. On Friday afternoon, I randomly choose a student to be next week's Star of the Week. S/he takes home our class mascot (last year we had 2 to choose from- Ben D. Giraffe and Barko, the Dog), a page to fill out about his/her interests, and our class journal. In the journal, the student will write about his/her adventures with the class mascot over the weekend. I also send home a letter explaining all about Star of the Week. I place a star with the student's name on the bulletin board.

I get to be the first Star of the Week so that I can model behavior expectations and procedures...

Monday- Star of the Week sits in our Star Chair and shares the journal entry.

Tuesday or Wednesday- Star of the Week brings in an item for Show and Tell.

Thursday (library day)- Star of the Week sits in our Star Chair and reads aloud his/her favorite book to the class.

Friday- Star of the Week takes home their bulletin board star, interest inventory, and a certificate thanking them for being Star of the Week.

All week long I give special privileges to the Star of the Week (running errands, being line leader, doing classroom jobs, etc.).

I, too, skip short weeks.

I do like the idea of having the kids turn in the interest inventories early in the year, but what kids like in September isn't always what they like in April :)

BTW, I NEVER had a kid not bring back the mascot and journal last year!