Student of the Week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.T, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Does anybody do Student of the Week?

I thought about it last year, but never got organized. I feel that it might be nice for the kids because although we have times/schedules to share reading and writing, we don't have show and tell. We never really have a set time for kids to tell cool things about themselves to the whole class.

I remember when I was in elementary school, one of my teachers did it like this:
    She interviewed the child whose week it was. (Alone, maybe during reading or whenever.)
    Then she got 5 main facts out of her interview and wrote them on a piece of construction paper. (i.e. birthday, who they live with, favorites, etc.)
    Then each morning the S.of the W. got to take about 5 minutes to present 1 fact and then that piece of paper was hung up. Also, she included a baby pic of the kid, which was neat.

What do you think? What do you do?

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I do something similar - each day they bring in something different and share it (for about 5 min) at the end of our morning meeting.

Monday - pictures (these get displayed all week)
    Tuesday - favorite book
    Wed. - favorite stuffed animal
    Thu. - favorite inside toy
    Fri. - favorite snack to share

:D

4. jenybear0804

jenybear0804 Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

In my classroom, I do what is called "Shining Star" It is along the same lines as student of the week. On Friday, a child is picked and given a packet to fill out. In the packet are stars where the child fills in certain information such as favorite holiday, food, birthday, school subject, hero, etc. You can customize these to what you would like. The following monday he/she brings in the packet along with pictures of their family and their favorite school paper. I display these in the classroom. The rest of the students fill out a star with psotive comments for the person that are placed on a large piece of construction paper. I lamanate it for the child and hang it up. At the end of hte week, the student recieves all the things back.

5. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

My students would bring in pictures for the bulletin board, draw a self-portrait and fill out an all about me sheet. These all got hung on the board. Then they would take home a tape recorder and 3-4 books from our library. With their family, they would choose one story to record together on a tape and then we would listen to it sometime throughout the week. They would also bring in 50-300 of a certain object (pennies, skittles, pop tops) for our guessing jar and the students would all guess the number and then we would reveal the closest guess.

6. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jun 28, 2007

What do you do with kids that don't have the support from home? I tried this during my student teaching and then again with my little guys last year but had to give it up. Several of my students didn't bring in pictures, didn't have snack to share, and I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to get some of my parents to record a book. It's unfortunate that some of our kids don't have the support, but really, how do you handle it when they don't bring what you need?

7. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Do you happen to have a copy of the packets you send home? I would LOVE to see it. I also love the idea of the positive comments for each child. That poster is something they would hold on to for years!!
    Jen

8. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I had several students with little or no parent support, but all of them did most parts of the student of the week activities. I had one little boy who didn't bring anything for the guessing jar, so I just gave him something to fill it with. I had one student who only brought homework back a handful of times all year, but I just made sure to walk her out with the student of the week bag and hand it to her parents along with my phone number in case of any questions and it was returned on time. A few parents, I had to call a few times to check on the progress and it did come back a few days late, but it came back. I try really hard to build relationships with all of my students' parents so that when the time comes, they will come through. I didn't care so much about homework not being turned in, especially since the research coming out is telling us it doesn't really work to accomplish that much. However, when the homework affects their participation in the classroom, I try hard to let the students and parents know that this particular piece of homework is really important to their success. I also let them know that the student of the week stuff is really important. One thing that also helps is to make sure your highly involved parents and students go the first few weeks. After that, the kids want to do it so much, they will take on a lot of the responsibility for it themselves.

9. rose05

rose05 Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I teach 2nd grade too. I do something similar which I call the STAR student. I have a questionnaire that each student fills out at the end of September. The students tell about their favorite foods, books, sports, subject, and what they want to be when they grow up. I model the format on the board and tell about myself. When choose a name randomly each student writes about that person. The last sentence they must write is to say why they like the Star student. I encourage the children to be specific rather than just stating the person is "nice". They also draw a picture. I collect their papers and make a booklet. I save them until the end of the year and pass them back out the last week of school. The children love to see their booklets. I try to choose a student every other week and they write during my penmanship block. The STAR student gets to share the information before I write it on the board. They also have a star that they color after writing a few facts that I post on a year round bulletin board.

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

Take a look at Beth Newingham's site:
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/
    I absolutely love her style of teaching and I get great ideas from her!! I will kinda do my Star Student this year modeled from hers but with my own spin to it.:D
    Click on Star Of The Week on the left hand side.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2007

YT

She sounds like an amazing teacher, I skimmed the site, but wow, I was blown away! Amazing! :cool:

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

She is an amazing teacher and I think I stumbled upon the site from reading a post from A to Z but I'm glad I did. She also has a blog with Scholastic where she gives great tips and ideas for teachers. Check her out sometimes. She seems to be an expert in teaching reading/writing workshop!!:D