Student of the Week or Student of the Day?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Daisha, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Apr 27, 2009

Do you do Student of the Week or Student of the Day? and why do you do it that way than the other way?

I'm trying to decide, this year I did student of the day, but I would like to have more jobs that the students do, and I'm thinking about student of the Week. I'd appreciate your feedback on this, I'm trying to get ready for next.

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009

I do Celebrity of the Week (similar to Star of the Week). I prefer choosing one student a week instead of one student a day because there is so much more you can do with the activity if you give each student a week. I really believe in giving kids opportunities to shine, show what they know, anything that will build their self esteem. So the Celebrity of the Week participates in an activity a day, Monday though Friday. Each activity helps us to get to know the child better including a parent letter from home telling something special about the child, a peer to peer interview, and the child fills his/her sharing sack with special artifacts from home and/or family pictures. I love it because some students who seem very shy or students who tend to not have friends because they may have behavior problems really open up when they get the chance to be the "star". :)

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

I do what youngteacher does. In fact, her comments last year made me decide to do it.

The kids just love it.

I do this:

Monday- Something from home that is special and fits in the backpack. Pictures, too.

Tuesday- favorite book to read to the class

Wednesday- Letter from home---they love this!!!!!!!

Thursday- Lunch with someone from the family. If they can't come, it is lunch with anyone from first grade. We have assigned seats so this is a big deal.

Friday- a friendship letter surrounded by sweet comments from their classmates. I stick it on scrapbook paper and laminate it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Star Of The Week is what we did last year. I had a BIG poster board, where I wrote the Star's favorite STUFF:
    Animal
    Book
    Color
    Day
    Food
    Holiday
    Shape
    Snack
    Song
    Store
    Toy
    What I want to be when I grow up!

I also has a photo of the SOTW on his/her poster along with a family photo, if the parents are able to share them. If they were unable to submit a photo, then I had the SOTW draw some pictures.:cool:
    She/He also helped out with a lot of the activities in the classroom.
    Make it fun,:)
    Rebel1

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Any other ideas?

Also when the students share do you give the class a chance to ask questions or anything or is it just the star student up there talking about their favorite thing?

I would like to try something like this next year.

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

What cute ideas! What do you do if you have a parent that doesn't send in a letter from home? How do you handle that so that they still feel special and not left out?

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Yes good point. I would worry that some of my students would never even get the student of the week letter from me checked by parents.

I know the kids will be so excited and will make sure their parents will see that they are the star student but its up to the parent ultimately to follow through. At least for my kids since they are so young.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2011

Star of the Week:
    Monday - Sharing bag (sent home Friday to be filled with special items, pictures, etc)

Tuesday - Science experiment - they can pick their own or look through the books I have - they bring all the supplied from home and "teach" their experiment to the class. This is their favorite part!

When we have time throughout the week:
    Each student writes a letter to the star. I bind these in a book to go home at the end of the year.
    Estimating jar - the kids bring a jar filled with small items or treats for estimating, counting, and large math problems.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

Someone mentioned using the Star of the Day/ Week to be the calendar leader and to help write the morning message. I am planning on implementing that next year!

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2011

I used to do the star of the week... however this year I am doing it just for a day. I just feel bad for the last kids who are telling about their favorites when we're 28 weeks into the school year. I think it will be more useful (for me) to just do a student of the day.
    To be honest... star students activities are not my favorite. Its cool at the beginning of the year, but then I get caught up in everything else and end up dreading doing the star student thing every day. I'm a bad teacher!

12. Youngteacher226

Jul 3, 2011

That's interesting that you say that! I did the Star of the Week or Celebrity of the Week when I taught 2nd grade and I loved it! It was such a hit and the students looked forward to learning about the current Celebrity of the class. I always did feel a little bad for the students who have to wait until like the 23rd week of school to tell us about him/herself. I took a break from this over the last 2 years due to other challenges with the schedule and demands in our day. But I think I will organize this as a "Celebrity of the Day" thing this year. That way we can be done with all of the activities before we get too deep into the curriculum and it has to get booted out of our day. Let's see how it goes!

13. Youngteacher226

Jul 3, 2011

Just thinking though....this will have to be totally different then the activities for the Celebrity of the Week. Maybe we can hit a few things in one day like pictures, celebrity interview (or survey) that the child can go home and answer with the parent and share in class, etc. Hmmmm?????? This will take some thought.