Student of the Month

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

Do you do this? If you go to my website, I announced my first one- http://teachingvision.org (in the little box on the right where I write updates with dates). I included his photo and a description of what he's done, but not his name. He's holding our Wise Owl (idea from Mrs. Renz). You have to scroll a little to read about him and see him.

If you do this, what are some privileges you give to your SOTM for the month he or she has the honor? I've never given much! I'd like to try a few new ideas, though- maybe a special lunch instead of a regular Student of the Week lunch where he chooses a few friends? Or something else? He already has the owl at home, but that's not much to me...

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

We do this school-wide. They get a certificate and a pen or pencil. One thing I saw done in one of my practicums is having their picture taken and posted outside the room with their certificate. Otherwise, I personally and not big on extrinsic rewards--they are too difficult to keep up with and they get expensive.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

I was thinking, too, that maybe he and all the Students of the Week after him can fill out one of those big newspaper-like All About Me sheets. I am not so much into the extrinsics, but perhaps he could help decorate our main bulletin board with a few friends of his choice. However, I don't change it every month and that may eventually become unfair for those months I don't do anything.

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

My son won an award from his 3rd grade teacher and his prize was to sit on an excercise ball for the week. I know, it doesn't sound like much, but he had a blast with it - he's very kinesthetic anyway. The only rule was that he had to stay on it in one place. Another kid got the teacher's chair for a week.

6. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I was a Student of the Month coordinator for my old school. They received a certificate, pencil and a coupon for a free slurpee (icee) from 7-11. I had no problems getting the store to donate the coupons. I'd go to a local convenience store and see if they offer something like that.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 5, 2007

Our school also gives something small out, so I think I'll remain with what we've always had- also a certificate, pencil, and coupon of sorts.