Student Names

Discussion in 'High School' started by ladyd, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ladyd

ladyd Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Hi,
    I am a new teacher. Any suggestions as to how l can quickly learn students' names. I am so poor with names.

3. mrswilson

mrswilson Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I keep a seating chart from day one and study the kids names and faces during any down time during the first few days of school.

It's not easy!!

4. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I play name games with them. for one, I take an object (ball or something) and toss it to someone, they have to repeat my name, then say their name, and they toss it to someone new who has to repeat all the names heard and add his own and keep tossing until everyone in the room is accounted for, then I go last and have to repeat all names. It helps.

5. ladyd

ladyd Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks for your assistance. The ball game sounds interesting.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2007

I am SOOOO bad at that!!!!

The first period they spend taking a test, I stare them down and try to get some of the names down (after warning them that it's what I'll be doing :) ) That helps a bit.

7. ladyd

ladyd Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks. Your method sounds good l will try it. I'm good at remembering faces but it takes me time to get the names down.

8. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

I know 98% of my kids names (I'm having a hard time remembering 3 different boys in 3rd period).

What I did was during some down time we played the "name game."
    I would say "Okay, I want you to think of something that goes with your name... like if your name is Dan you could say you are 'dirt biker dan' or 'dancing dan' or 'dog loving dan'"
    Usually the kids are a little shy but I will give them a silly name and they will say "sure.. I guess I can be that"
    Then I will say "Okay, we have jumping jack ladies and gentlemen, everyone say hi to jumping jack!" usually other kids will chime in with some good names. It has really helped me and the kids find it really amusing after a while =o)

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

Pass back papers. You learn their names quickly.

10. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I agree with those who mentioned some form of the Name Game. It is the fastest way I've found to learn their names!

11. InnerCityHSTeac

InnerCityHSTeac New Member

Sep 3, 2007

I agree. Its time consuming to pass back the papers yourself, but it helps. I also call out attendance and have them sit in their same seats. After a week of school and 205 students, I have about 30% of their names and faces matched.

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

I've taken pictures of my students before to learn their names. It helps a lot. I have 165 students so I need a little help.

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Sep 5, 2007

Have you played "Going shopping". We played it in my education class and it worked awesomely. The game starts with the first person and for example my name starts with D, so I would say "Hi my name is Dee. I'm going shopping for donuts. My name is Dee." Then the next person goes "Hi my name is Pete. I'm going shopping for pineapples. I'm taking Dee with me. My name is Pete." Then the next person goes " Hi my name is Andy. I'm going shopping for apples. I'm taking Dee and Pete with me. My name is Andy." The reason it works is because of the alliteration of the name and the product combined with the repetition. The students learn each others names and the teacher has heard the names repeated 27 or so times while looking at their faces. It worked extremely well in class.

14. history_girl_au

history_girl_au Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

I wish I knew a good way. There is a teacher in my school that can learn all the students' names in a lesson - I'm struggling after 6 weeks with them - although there is only a couple I don't know :)

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2007

Passing back papers totally works.

Another thing I do is walk around the room with my seating chart (I don't design seating charts unless I have to--I let the kids pick where the want to sit, but I make them stay there for a few weeks until I learn their names) in hand and stand at each group until I figure out each kid's name. Usually I have to make a little comment to myself or to the kid, like "Oh, your name is Alma. That's a Latin word!"

I always do my best to sound apologetic whenever I might forget or mispronounce a name. Names are important, and I don't want anyone to feel like I've forgotten who THEY are, even if I can't remember their name.

One trick I do when filling out paperwork or passes is to say something like, "I'm still trying to learn last names. Remind me what your last name is, please?" Since I'm familiar with my class lists, I can usually recall a first name based on a last name, and kids seem much less offended that a teacher might not remember their last name.

I'm having a tough time this year with my three new classes (my three old classes have my students from last year). In each class there are at least two pairs of kids who look alike, sit next to each other, and have VERY similar names. Similar as in one is named something like John Smith and one is Jon Smith. It's craziness!

16. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I feel that the least time consuming way to learn names is to assign seats and keep a seating chart handy at all times during instruction. Constantly looking at the seating chart and calling on as many kids as possible, will help familiarize you with their names. : )

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2007

traeh,
    that's what I do. I had my first full day of school today (half day yesterday) and I know almost all of the names for all three of my LA classes.

18. CKaras

CKaras Rookie

Feb 6, 2011

I do a few things:
    1) Make a seating chart and refer to it periodically during class
    2) Search for them on facebook. It sounds creepy -- LOL -- but if I learn a little about them and make them appear interesting to me right from the get-go, I'm more likely to remember their names.
    3) Play the name game. Everyone has to think of an adjective that begins with the same sound as their name (this is a great way to sneak in the introduction of alliteration, too, English teachers!), and an action to go with it. So, for instance, I had a senior use "Compulsive Cassie" because she's such a perfectionist. She held her arms next to her body and shook them, as if she were having a neurotic breakdown! It was so funny, but, as I learned later, SO true of her! :) We go around the room playing "The Name Game," but before we can say our name, we have to say the adjective/name and do the motions for all the people who went before us. So there's a bunch of repetition, and it's easier to remember because of the alliteration and movements. ...The only part that gets difficult is when you have multiple kids from different classes that want to use the same adjectives or motions. But that usually only happens with sports movements, like shooting a basketball or swinging a bat (pretty popular with the boys).

I even knew a teacher one time that made copies of their yearbook pictures from the year before, cut them all out, and wrote the student's name underneath it. She created a seating chart, laminated it, and put one side of Velcro on each desk on the chart. Then she put the other side of Velcro on the back of the kid's pictures. She used this all year long as her seating chart. When she wanted to change seats, she just re-Velcroed to her little heart's desire! A little time-consuming, but it worked for her!