Student names

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kimrandy1, Jul 27, 2006.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2006

I do that all the time!:p

2. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 29, 2006

By any chance are their last names Gonzales,Perez, or Lopez? This passed summer school session I had 3 Perez'...two of which had Ivan as a first name:eek: ...I called them by their maternal last names, since they hyphenated it anyways. To top it off, both kids were just as much of a handful as the other.

-Crystal

3. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 29, 2006

My mom still calls me by her younger sister's name...my answer?...Mom it's been Crystal for the passed (blank) years!:D

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2006

"By any chance are their last names Gonzales,Perez, or Lopez?"

Nope, mine are all last name "Wilson." I do have a fairly large Hispanic population (I think I have 6 Spanish-only speaking kids this year and another 3 with SOME English...) but they aren't my duplicate names!
    Kim

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 30, 2006

Where I really get mixed up is when I get a younger sister, and she looks just like the older sister. I have the hardest time getting the "old" name out of my head. I hate when I call a child by her sister's name.

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 30, 2006

My grandfather used to call my mother and then have to go through all his siblings and my aunts and uncles til he figured out who he had called...

I had a few teachers who called everyone by last name only. In 11th grade, one girl came into the classroom laughing...She said Miss_____finally called me by my first name...except it was my sister's!

7. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

When I taught K...I had two Skylars...one was Skyler, the other was Skylar. I just called them Skyler B. and Skyler S.
    When I taught 4th for that one month period before teaching K...I had two other girls...same first name...just called them by their first name and Initial of their last name, lol.

When I was student teaching, there was this little black girl...her name was spelled Birya...so that is what I called her. Everyone kept correcting me and I kept saying to myself "OK yeah right...whatever, its spelled Birya" Eventually after a week or so, the cooperating teacher corrected me and told me that while the girls name was spelled Birya...she is called Briya (Bree-yah). I think...in a non-insulting way, that her parents might not have that good of a english background so they couldnt spell it right? But Im not sure.

8. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 30, 2006

:eek: I've actually called my Boyfriend by my daughter's name a few times in some arguments:eek:

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 30, 2006

I've called my daughters by my sisters names, but I think they hate it the most when I call them "Lucky"...that's the dog!!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 30, 2006

I mix names up all the time. I ended up buying Josh a bag of candy as a peace offering (or appology) and gave it to him on the last day of school. I have also mixed up names from different years. Two years ago I had a Lindsay. The following year Lindsay was gone, but now I had a Lexi whom I called Linsay by mistake. Names that are similar but not the same always pose a problem for me. The years I had a Kyle and a Tyler I was forever confusing the names. It didn't help that they were best friends and always together.

11. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 30, 2006

I had a little girl whose name was unusual and also, I thought, a very pretty name: Memorie

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 31, 2006

I have an Aubriana in the fall. She goes by Abby.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

One of my students last year was more used to people pronouncing her name incorrectly than correctly. Her name is Sevly, pronounced "Sue Lee". Her name is Cambodian.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2006

It was 1985 and I was a nervous first year teacher at the first open house of the year. One of the veteran teachers asked my fifth grader Jodi to introduce her little brothers to me. "This is my brother Charlie and this is my other brother Charlie." Apparantly, Dad (Charles Sr.) had little Charlie with his wife and then littler Charlie with the girlfriend (who lived in the basement). Rural America is a hoot!

15. bmault

bmault Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

OK, how's this...
    one class-
    Shevalier
    Sholanda
    Shawnisha
    Sabrina
    Sanita
    Tyshaya

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

I got my class list today...

I have the following that I can remember:

Aunta
    Bryn
    Avin
    Laquisha
    Margie

and some other names that I yet to know how to say (or remember how to spell)

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2006

I had a Thomas _____ IV in my class, his 3 brothers were Thomas I, II, III. The Mom must have really liked the name and obviously didn't understand the generational aspect of the concept. I can't imagine when they got older and someone called the house and asked for Thomas.

18. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

crazy kids

I had some fun ones this past year also.

2 Tylers
    Brendan, Brennan, Brandon, Braden
    2 Daniels (with the same last initial and neither one wanted to go by Danny, or Dan)
    Tayshia and Asia

It was interesting...

Now this coming year I have a Tayden, Kaden, Braden, and Hayden...that should be fun too!

And a Kyla, 2 Kylees, and and a Kaylieann

LOL,
    Cari

19. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Aug 1, 2006

My college roommate was named Delight. We would convince others that she had a twin brother named DeDark. One year I had 3 Samanthas in my class. We used Sam, Sammy, and Samantha to keep them straight.:angel:

20. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Ever read the Dr. Suess story about Mrs. Mc--ave, who had forty sons, and named them all Dave? I don't remember the full last name...my cousin had me reading the story to her a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't stop laughing!

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

That sounds like George Foreman and all of his boys named George!:p

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2006

I have had some names I have considered somewhat interesting but they grew on me and I love these two names. Nyielah (for a girl) pronounced Nie-e-la and Imani (which is one of the days of Kwanza) I have seen this for boys and girls. I prefer it for girls.---

I have seen many interesting and intriguing names in the past few years--- some took me a long time to learn to spell/pronounce. We don't have our list for next year yet--

23. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

We had that brother naming thing in our school also. I always wonder about the confusion it will cause when they get older. For example, your name is in the paper for winning something. Girls start calling asking for George and don't know who they have on the phone talking to them. Worse, what happens if one is in legal trouble, another gets pulled over for speeding and ends up in jail. Not to mention credit cards and money problems. I know there are ID numbers but once the association is made, it can take a while to straighten it out. (Just my thoughts.)

24. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2006

Ok, here is name coincidence story....

My name is Holli. When I was a freshman in college, my boyfriend's name was Kevin. We lived in a dorm complex. I lived in the north tower and he in the south.

My freshman roommate's name was Hollie. Her boyfriend's name was Kevin. Guess where he lived?? Yup, in the same dorm.

Things were fine until my Kevin moved to the same floor as her Kevin. Both Kevin's were short with short brown hair.
    People would call and ask for Holli. We'd say, "which one?"
    They'd say, Uhh, Kevin's girl friend.
    We'd say, "Which Kevin?"
    They'd reply, "Kevin, in South--short brown hair...."
    To which we'd say, "Yeah, which Kevin exactly?"

Ok, so I broke up with Kevin and so did Hollie. I started dating Fred, who's birthday was the same as Hollie's and she started dating Rick, who had the same birthday as me!!

Guess what Rick's full name was???? Fredrick!!!!!!!

I've lost track of Hollie, but I often wonder if she has 3 kids and what THEIR names are!!!!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

I think you need to look Hollie up. That is way to funny.

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2006

THAT'S CRAZY--- Did you go to Maryland? Many members of my family went there and they all tried to get me to go-- but I am glad I went to UW--(Wisconsin)

27. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2006

not to mention the curse of the name michael!!!

28. terptoteacher

Aug 1, 2006

Nope, I went to Washington State University!!! GO COUGS!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

29. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2006

Oh I just assumed the Terp was for the Maryland Terapins

30. terptoteacher

Aug 1, 2006

Nope, terp is short for Interpreter. I was a sign language interpreter for a few years.:)

31. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 1, 2006

OHH--- well you know what they say about when you assume! --gotta stop doing that---

32. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Last year I had 4 girls named Mai.. apparently it is Hmong for little lady.

33. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

My hubby met him once. Apparently they all have George as a middle name but have different first names.. or maybe it was the other way around.. regardless they aren't all CALLED George.. tv ploy I guess.

34. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 2, 2006

Next year I'm going to have a girl named Malibu. She has the blondest hair I've ever seen, and it always makes me think of Malibu Barbie when I think of her!

35. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

So many posts I couldn't keep up with them all.

I have not had my first class yet and now I am a bit worried I will never get names straight :p. However, my 11th grade year there were 3 Jennifer's in my english class (one being me). We were in order alphabetically. It was hilarious. We all had the same first letter in our last name. And two out of the three were Jennifer Ann's. What do you do with that as a teacher? Well we went by Jen, Jennifer, and Jenny. I was the Jen at the time.

Another thing, I won't say my last name here, but no one can spell it or pronounce it. It is the easiest name, it only has 5 letters but everyone either spells it wrong or says it wrong. It has an e at the end so everyone assumes it should be silent which it isn't Didn't anyone ever learn that an e can make a y sound? I hope if I ever get married I get something people know how to spell and say.

I did practicum in third grade and I often had to correct students. One student called me "Miss Whatever" if looks could kill my cooperating teacher would have killed a student.

36. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2006

Well, my fil passed away last summer & his name was Michael. I know that dh would think about naming a son if we had one after him. No thanks! Those Michaels did it in for me. One was retained so he could mature (boy he did), the other had a parent who hated me (and was the one who lived outside his class in fourth grade- that should tell you something). The last one was very smart, but very sarcastic and could be a bit unmotivated. He also knew how to push my buttons.

But- if I said Michael, they somehow knew which one I ment :p

37. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 2, 2006

Isn't it funny too, how many names we have to cross off our own list of potential names for our own children. After having a child in your class who was a "challenge", you wouldn't want to use the name for a child yourself-whether it reminds you of them or the fear they will turn out the same way.

38. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

One year wehn we went back and got classroles, one teacher had five (count them FIVE) Justins. Needless to say we rearranged the classes but with only four teachers, she still had two.

39. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Aug 2, 2006

By the time I'm ready to have kids, I'll have to invent my own names.

Last year, we had a Cinderella (yeah... we called her Ella), Carly, Cassie, Kaitlien... Two Ethans, two Logans, two Emmas... and a Jarrod and Trevor who are cousins, and my co-teach is Trevor's grandma and still kept switching out names!

Luckily, an Ethan, a Logan, and an Emma are going to Kindergarten... I don't know what to do about Jarrod and Trevor, although usually they'll look at you and just correct you, solemn-faced.

40. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

That is true the other way, too though. My mom taught first grade combos for about 15 years. One year she had a little redheaded boy named Norman. She said he was the sweetest little boy. She said if she had had a redheaded boy (I was born redheaded but a girl) she would have definately gone with Norman- which is NOT a really popular name..