Student names

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kimrandy1, Jul 27, 2006.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2006

I just got my class list (I teach PreK and have two sessions of 20 kids each...). No, this is not a post to make fun of student names, just to talk about some of the interesting parts of my group!
    I have Brenda and Lenda (same last name, not twins, though!)
    I have 3 Kayla's.
    I have a boy Taylor and a girl Taylor (both in the AM class).
    I have a Jayson, a Daison and a Mason (all in the PM class).
    And I have some really old fashioned names that I've never had before: Thalia, Xavier, Bernadette, Mikhail.
    I can't wait to meet them, I think they're going to be an interesting group!
    Kim

3. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

Yes, they are!! :) Wow! One year I had two Kelseys, two Dylans, two Tylers and a Taylor...I was tongue tied most of the year just with those! :D

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2006

Yes, there is also a Tyler. I hadn't thought how that may be confusing with Taylor (and Taylor). And, looking at it again, I forgot to mention that I have an Ezra, and I have four kids with the same last name, none of whom are related that I can tell!
    Kim

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

OH, My! :D I do not know how you preschool and kindergarten teachers do it!! At least by the time, they reach 5th grade, I pretty much know who most of the parents are and the family connections. :) Plus, you may have 20 students at a time, but you have 40 of everything you need to prepare for and test on!! You guys are amazing!! :angel:

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 27, 2006

One year I had 4 Tylers, a Taylor (boy), Jared, Jerad, Alli, Allison, and Alicia. Last year I had 2 Zachs. It helped that some of them were split into different section of the grade levels. Last year I had trouble keeping Zach and Josh straight. Go figure.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2006

Two years ago I had a Jordan D, Jordan P and a Jordan Z! Also in that same class I had an Alyssa and Alissa..................sheesh!

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2006

A friend of mine had a Brandon Smith and a Brendan Smith in her second grade class. No relation at all.

9. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

:D I hear you! Last year I kept mixing up a Jesse and a Clay. I KNEW who they were, but everytime I went to call one of them by name, my brain and my mouth refused to work in sync! They were good sports about it, but I was so upset with myself! :)

Your mention of the two Jared's with different spellings made me think of how frustrated I often get with some of the parents' creative spellings of their childrens' names! One year I had three Kari's, all girls: Kari, Kerry, and Kary. Actually, those spellings helped to distinguish them, but sometimes the spelllings follow no reasonable patterns, and that makes it so difficult! :)

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2006

Ask me about the 3 michaels I had last year... They drove me crazy!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2006

Many years ago I was teaching in an all girl's school and chaperoned a trip to London with 2 elderly nuns. One night we went to Picadilly Circus (kind of similar to Times Square in NYC) and Sister Bernadette told the girls to meet us back in 2 hours.

WHAT?? 45 16 year old girls alone??
    I followed the largest group and within 2 minutes they had found 2 18ish year old boys who offered to show them the sights. After a brief chat, they realized that a good half of the girls were named Jennifer. So they asked that all the Jennifers follow one boy, and all the non-Jennifers follow the other.

I spoke up and said "My name is Miss D. Where do I go?" ( iwas about 24 and looked younger than some of the kids:rolleyes: )

The boys disappeared and we all stuck together. (much to the girls' chagrin!)

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2006

Between the two regular Kinder classes last year we had 4 sets of twins! (I don't know what is in the water) one set was Gabriel and Gabriella (not that I'd get them confused or anything). The confusing ones were Makayla and Makeyla, luckily they did not look alike. I had a set of twins (both girls were in my class) and they were so identical even the kids couldn't tell them apart -usually they are much more observant.

I was looking at a website the other day that listed the most common names by state, isn't it interesting the differences even across the U.S. I don't think I've had a Jennifer yet, I did have a Tyler once. I teach in a school with a predominantly Hispanic student population, I've always had a Gabriel and a Luis, every year.

13. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

I knew a little girl named Ta-naizia whose little sister was named Na-Taizia.

14. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

It's so funny how you can always tell some of the popular names from certain years. I never realized how many names have become dual gendered though. I have had both boy and girl Codi's, Taylor's, Dakota's, and Austin's.

15. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

During my student teaching I had a Peyton and a Payton (both girls), a Dakota (boy), a Devon (boy) a Sophie, a Perry, a Kenny, an Olivia (who prefered to be called Lily), and an Emily! It was quite an interesting group :)

16. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

And I thought two Ryans, a Brian, a Brennen, Kristin, Christine, and Kristina was bad for one class.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 28, 2006

When I was student teaching, I thought I'd NEVER learn the names of my students. They were all so unusual. I had Zamera and Zarkarie, Shaquana, Shaniqua, and Shomenkque, Ja'ne and M'kel, Kyra and Kharriah, and Kyia, J'vonta and J'son, and a girl named Nookie. I had a very hard time calling a child "Nookie."

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2006

A few years ago I had Kayla, Kylie, Kassidy, Karie, Carley and 3 Kaitlyns. And just to make it fun, there were 3 Justins.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

Once I had a girl on my Speech & Debate who was born in Kenya (I think) Her first name was Ogechi, and her last name had a LOT of vowels. (Actually I remember it quite well, but choose not to post it.)

After a while, I was able to say it well, and to prompt the President of the league whenever he had to give her a trophy.

After that year, her parents could no longer afford tuition (Grumman, which used to employ a LOT of people on LI, had another round of layoffs) and she ended up in the local public school, now competing for their team.

Her coach used to ask me every week how to say and spell her name at registration. And they still turned to me at trophy time for the pronounciation :)

20. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

Last year.....

Charlotte, charles, cameron, camden, colton, then
    Jacob, Joshua ~ always calling them by each others names,

Blake, Brooke,Brian,

Ashton, ashley

LOL! Does it ever stop?! Haa haa

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2006

I didn't know until after I had named her that Emily would be the most popular name for 3 or 4 years running. There were 3 Emily's in her class last year!!

When I was in the 7th grade, there were 4 Debbie's and 4 John's.

22. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

I had a girl last year whose name was Sharice and everyone called her Neka - she came in during the middle of the year and it took us forever to get Neka (Neeeka, not Necka) down...she really got frustrated when you started with Sha...

23. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

This has been very amusing. Now I can't wait to get my roster next week!

24. Kayasmomma

Kayasmomma Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Here's mine:
    Prestigious, Tabias, Qu'Main, Osianna, Lasenie, Joehuhna, Dramane, Chantoria, Aliyah, Cleveland.....and a few every day names!

25. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 28, 2006

you can do rhyming lessons with these Jayson, a Daison and a Mason

I had 3 Brianna's last year, all in different classes, but still confusing.

One of my co-workers had an Aldazia, but her nickname was Penny.

26. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

My first year teaching I had a Lakisha and a Lekeisha and they had the same last name. Luckily one didn't mind being called 'keisha

27. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

My friend had three girls last year with similar names - Jakia, Zakia, and Kaia.

28. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2006

Prestigious? A girl, I hope. She should develop a great vocabulary!

I had twins register for my class this year named Serenity and Sincerity. Unfortunately, they missed the birthday cutoff by two days, so I may have them next year, instead.

I once had a large family with very similar names. Five girls, then a boy. They were: Nikia, Nikesha, Nikola, Nikosha, Nikaysha...and the boy was Vincent. I always wondered if he felt a little left out!
    Kim

29. terptoteacher

Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, why not Nikolas?

30. DaliTeaches05

DaliTeaches05 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

This past year I had two Stephanie Castros, initially only being able to determine one as Stephanie E. and the other just plain Stephanie. By mid-year, though, we knew the "plain" Stephanie, as "Stephanie in gifted". But even then we had to be more precise since there was also a Stephanie Soto in her class.

I encountered my first Yenisley and Eunorick (whom the children took to calling NewYorick based on their own mispronounciation). Had a Parikshit, whom we called Perry, thank God.

Still, I love names, having had a rare name myself, and enjoy getting new ones.

31. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

Similar to this topic -

Do you ever find calling students who look alike by eachother's names? I about drove two of my boy students nuts last year. I tried to stop, but the wrong names just kept slipping out!

32. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2006

My co-teacher and I had that this past year. We had two girls....inseperable....who we kept mixing up. Their names were not even close: Ali and Nicole. I eventually got them straight, but at the end of the year Mary was still getting them confused. The girls just laughed at us (in a nice way), and said that even their moms call them by each other's names.

I also had Malcom and Malcolm - not a name you see every day!

33. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2006

I did that this year... I had a Katie & Tiffany who were best friends & I always called them by the wrong name.

I also had a Heidy this year- her name was pronounced Heyde
    and I had a Gamia last gear- her name was pronounced Jamia

34. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2006

What about Precious and Beautiful. I felt sorry for Beautiful though, she was a little challenged in the looks department.

35. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

My first year teaching I had a girl named Wisdom. Her middle name was Delight.

36. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 29, 2006

Right now I have a little girl named Kiala. For the first two weeks or so I was calling her "Key-ahla" until her brother corrected me and told me that it is pronounced like "Kyle-a" (2 syllables).

37. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

My mother once had a child in her classroom whose full name was MyAngel MyJoy (Lastname). Apparently this child was usually not my mother's "angel" or "joy". I find this happens more often than not.

38. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 29, 2006

Since I do this with my own children on a daily basis... and Becca is 15, Jessica 9...I'm sure it will happen in my class.

39. terptoteacher

Jul 29, 2006

I grew up answering to "BaJaHol" My older sisters are Barb and Jen, I'm Holly.

I'm forever mixing up my two daughters' names too!!!!!!!!

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

Do you think the teachers or admin who place the students in your class do that on purpose, just to see how confused you get!

41. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

I don't know I think I am the worst. I am constantly calling my dog Mya , Sarah and my sister Sarah, Mya. OOPS
    Sarah gets so mad at me!