Student letters, violent&suicidal

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ykk27, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

I like to read what students write, I always find a moment to read those essays posted on the hallway wall. Last time it was a Santa wish theme. I was shocked to see that around 30% af all the essays were threatening in means of "if I don't get what I want I will do this and that". One essay was about shooting Santa in a head with a pistol, and another one was about running from home and hanging a rope around neck if Santa does not get what is wanted. those essays were on display for everyone, so I guess it is normal? However I took them and passed them onto admin. They thanked me, but ever since I do not get any calls! It seems that they banned the inconvenient sub :( I am wondering if I should ever ever get involved anymore.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2013

Another thread started recently about not getting calls around this time of the year. Things tend to slow down, and then pick back up. If you are concerned about being banned, I would call the person in charge of substitutes and see if they can tell you anything.

In regards to those papers, I'm shocked that a teacher would hang those up. I don't know if I would have taken them down, but as a sub, I think I would have wanted to talk to someone about it. Get the story behind it and why they were posted for all to see.

4. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

This is not the first time in this school. Earlier another class had a Dr. Frankenstein theme, and kids wrote about bloody brains and bones... It was also displayed. Now the whole school seems to be weird. I am from another country, and America is not like any other country in the world, so I thought maybe the Frankenstein essays a OK, because people like watching horrors. But the killing and suicidal does not seem OK for anyone.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2013

In my school, not only would those papers not be posted, they would have led to a meeting with student, parent and administration. May be harmless, but the topics send up lots of red flags and are not school appropriate.

6. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

Yup, it's always the subs fault.

7. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 29, 2013

Frankenstein is acceptable. It's a book students are required to read in high school.

8. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

This is what I thought.... However seems strange when third graders write literally how he eats bloody brains and chases people with knife, and then it is all displayed on the wall. Kids grow up with that considering it normal, and then we have Adam shooting his 20 friends, this is so sad. They are talking about weapon ban, but in fact they need to dig deeper and start with elementary school and parents counseling. Rarely now kids watch Caillou or Little Bears, and early childhood is such important stage.

9. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

Those 20 people were not Adam's friends. He didn't know any of those people.

In any case, while your intentions were good you should have never taken anything off the wall. You could have left a note for the teacher or the sub, but taking something off the wall seems disrespectful.

10. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

I did not take anything off the wall! I talked to admins just as I was instructed by the district. What was the point of leaving note to the teacher if she was the one to display those letters?
    While those kids were not Adam's friends the idea of violent behavior connected to early childhood exposure to violence makes sence.
    Sure, I will not be able to change situation, it will still remain the same. I just feel now that I should not have pointed to those letters, just ignore and get my daily wage without trouble...

11. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

In fact, here is the question: if there is a really concerning situation like with those letters (suicidal for instance), should I think about being respectful, or should I think about safety of children, taking quick action? i was walking around those letters for few days, reading. I thought maybe it is not my business, but no one seemed to notice them. So, finally they replaced them with new ones, and still no one noticed. Then I took them and brought to the admin. The teacher was absent.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2013

Don't sub in a school where you are not comfortable. This is not about being in the US..it's about this school's lack of vigilance..