Student-Led Conferences

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by thomps6, Jan 13, 2008.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jan 13, 2008

Anyone do student-led conferences instead of the traditional ones? Do you do centers? If so, what kind of centers? Do you cycle parents through with maybe 4-5 in an hour? Are you one of the centers? I am wanting to do something different. I used to do private student-led conferences and the students wrote goals for the rest of the year, shared something from the day (their choice) and we discussed middle school. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!:thanks:

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 13, 2008

I posted reply to post, "Conference time, ..." , on 1/09 that had to do with student led conferences.

I had four conference centers around room with parents/student at each -- so four per half-hour was my schedule. I was basically a facilitator roaming from center to center. Students were trained (lesson) on how to present their portfolios to parents with a script for reference. I finished all my conferences in two day versus usual five or six. Parents liked idea of their child telling them instead of typical teacher talk. Problem was my principal didn't like idea of saving time to plan lessons and forced me back into traditional conferences.

4. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jan 14, 2008

Did you meet with the parents? We do the traditional kind in October and student-led in February. I am sorry you were forced to do the traditional way. It also saves time for the parents as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

I did student-led conferences when I taught a homeroom, and will never do anything else! I scheduled 45 minute time slots, and signed up 4 families to come in each session. The students had a checklist of what they needed to show their parents and talk to them about and I sat down with each family at some point during their visit. In addition to the fact that this type of meeting allows the students to share with their parents and that it gives them ownership of their learning, I also appreciate the flexibility it gives the families--they can stay for as short or as long as they need to.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

We do student led conferences. I may have do stations, one will be the sharing station, where kids share any projects we have been working on. Another will be a goal setting station, where students and parents set goals for the rest of the school year. I don't want to be a station though. I feel like if I'm a station then the kid will try to be dependent on me and defeat the purpose of student led conferences.

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Apr 26, 2008

I have done student-led conferences for the past several years and would never go back to a traditional type of conference. I set my schedule up so that I may have one or up to five conferences happening at a time. My students come in, find an open computer (every presentation is technology based) and begin their presentation. I may be speaking with another parent or observing the presentations, so my students know exactly what to do if that is the case. At the end of each conferences, I do sit down and speak with the parents regarding their child's current grades, benchmark scores, and any other issues that need to be discussed.

During the presenations, my students discuss what they feel are their strengths/areas of improvement, goals, and two work samples per subject where they share what they learned and what they would improve on next time. Their presentations are usually a PowerPoint in the fall and in the spring, they create videos, VoiceThreads, podcasts, scrapbooks, etc.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2008

I love the idea of incorporating technology into student-led conferences.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 9, 2008

I never thought of doing centers with these before. When I did them, the student, parents and I were at a table together and the student presented their portfolio to the parents. I was there to answer questions or help the student go deeper into explanation. I also wanted to make sure they were giving the right reasons for grades. ;)