Student keeps moving recycle bin?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by riverdance85, Sep 5, 2013.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

I had him last year. He used to move my plant around. I got rid of the plant, and now this year he is moving my recycle bin to the middle of the room while my back is turned. He has a history of being the class clown. He asks questions that throw the class off topic and to purposely waste our time. I have already talked to him in the hallway on many occasions and even told the guidance counselor to talk to him. I told him that I might consider recommending him to take another class instead of taking Spanish (that made him quiet, but only for a day).

Should I leave the recycle bin where he moves it and ignore everything he does, even though he is relentless in trying to get my attention? He's already been written up once this year and I don't want to keep feeding my AP referrals.

Thanks.

:eek:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

So he is getting up and moving things from one part of the classroom to another? That's what needs to get nipped in the bud. He needs to stay in his seat and you need to be keeping an eye on him. I recommend putting him in a desk closest to wherever you usually are (and away from the recycle bin).

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

Thank you, Caesar. I will try that. I always appreciate your help in my posts. :) He does this when we are moving around with partner work or if I need to talk to another student in the hall. I will keep an even closer eye on him.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 5, 2013

Have you asked him why he has moved it?

One strategy you might try is just thanking him for moving it so that it is closer for his classmates who may need to recycle something.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

Maybe there needs to be a special new procedure for him during partner work: you assign his partner and his partner comes to him. He doesn't get to get up out of his seat at all. Period.

7. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

That is something else to try. He is that kind of student with whom you have to crack down on hard! I am relieved that he listens after I tell him to correct his behavior. I just wish I didn't have to go through the same routine with him every day.

8. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

Thanks to you as well, RadiantBerg. Another useful idea!

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2013

I had a student who lost his ability to ever leave his seat last year. It worked out fine. He ended up having some fun with it and I didn't have to watch him like a hawk. I just set it up in terms of wanting him to be successful and not constantly distracting himself.

10. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

Rockguykev, I can actually see this happen with this guy too. He needs that kind of direction.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

It sounds as though he's trying to be funny, not malicious. So what I think I would do is pull him aside, and have a heart to heart. Let him know that it was funny in the beginning. But when something like that continues, it becomes a disruption.

Could you challenge him to get to class early and change something small each day, to see whether the kids notice? Give him access to a collection of posters and have him interchange one each day, just to see whether the other kids notice.

If and when they do, talk about how important it is to be aware of your enviornment, and about some of the small differences between a typical Spanish household and an American one. (OK, I'll admit that one was a bit of a stretch... it's the end of the first week of school, early in the morning, and I'm tired.)

My point is to switch the focus... instead of it being him trying to play head games with you, you're both on the same team.

When he tries to get you to go off on a tangent, tell him that you would LOVE to discuss it... after school. And that you'll be in room 202, and have about half an hour to spare, so he should call mom and let her know that he'll be late if he really wants more information.