Student information cards

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Cyndi23, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Hi all!
    I like to keep student information cards on hand that students fill out the first week of school. I've decided to order fancy free ones from Vista print and want to make sure I have included all relevant information for them to give me. Usually I have:
    First Name
    Last Name
    Nickname
    Address
    Phone number
    Parent/Guardian name(s)
    Parent/Guardian phone number

Anything else I might need?

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 4, 2011

I always have a line for FEMALE guardian and MALE guardian. Plus a line for each of those addresses and phone numbers since many of my students have two guardians with two different addresses and two phone numbers.

Oh, speaking of phone numbers... I actually ask for each parent's HOME and CELL number and also the student's CELL number since many of my students have that (I don't call them, but if there is a separate spot then they don't end up trying to put their number where I want Mom's and Dad's number).

I also ask for email address.

I also ask for BUS number b/c they are more likely to give it in the first week of school than they are at the end of the year (which is when we need it to dismiss by bus on the last day... if we ask at the end of the year, they tend to 'forget' their bus number).

I never ask for nickname... I always use their given legal name and that is what they are to use on their papers as well.

I also ask for birthdate.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 4, 2011

I ask students some questions about themselves, too. For example, I ask them to tell me their favorite subject in school (and why it's their favorite), their least favorite subject, an interesting fact about themselves, etc.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

I like to know what after school looks like for students ... sports practice? job? taking care of siblings?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Don't your school offices provide you with the 'basic info' the OP is requesting?

7. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I always have a spot for any personal info the student may want me to know about them.

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 4, 2011

I ask for languages spoken by the parents, so I know if I need a translator to communicate with them.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

Before we began using our currrent program which is our online gradebook, student management, discipline write-ups, and just about anything else you would need, we were not given this info for our students. I could get the info but I had to go down to the office and request it from our secretary.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Wow. I get most of the info requested in posts above in organized spreadsheet format by our office.:love:

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

That would be a lot of work for our secretary ~ 60 lists of anywhere from 120 - 180 students.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Mine does--our secretaries can access it on line in seconds, there are hard copies in binders in the main office and in the student record files.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

We can do this too now, and we can actually access the info our selves without going through the secretary. But prior to this online program, all the student info cards were located in the office.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

My classroom will be 100% digital this year (ok, maybe 95%). I am looking forward to no info cards, no printed syllabus, no welcome letter, etc.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

The blessings of being in a small school is that our front office can get us all of that information. We only have 180 students total, so our front office makes us a handbook of information. We have pictures of all of the kids, general information about them and a little paragraph written by each one of them telling us what they like most/least about school and what they see as their biggest challenges. It's awesome!

16. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I can access my students info on my computer at any time, however I still have my students fill out the info sheet and have them take it home to be signed by a parent/guardian. Usually the information I get from my students is more accurate then whats on the computer.

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

I can access it online too, but when I need a quick phone number, it's easier than logging onto skyward, and getting into my class list, then going to the drop down menu to find the kid, then highlighting the name then getting the number.
    I also ask the parents to tell me about their kid. I have gotten a lot of info about personalities too.

18. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 4, 2011

I put them in a box and take it to the phone with me (we dont' have phones in our rooms that call out). Like others have said, usually I get more accurate information from the cards and OTHER numbers to try in case I am trying to reach home.