Student having trouble with writing.

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MassNerder, Apr 8, 2010.

1. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

All of my students have their own writing journal in which they have the opportunity to respond to a written prompt or write about a self-selected topic. The majority of my classroom is writing about a page independently in their journals while one child is still struggling to get a sentence. When prompted and given one on one teacher support she is able to give 3 to 5 details on a given topic. I have tried everything to get her to work on her own. Rewards, timers, and even negative consequences. Nothing seems to work. She is a capable student but shes just not willing to take risks with her writing independently. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

3. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

It's not uncommon for children of this age to have low executive function. In some cases it's a symptom of an autism-spectrum disorder. In others, it's just a matter of development. If there are no other indicators of autism, I'd suggest giving her adequate scaffolding until she feels ready to do things more independently, then gradually withdraw it. If there are other autism indicators, 'adequate scaffolding' is even more important, but so are other interventions outside the classroom.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

It could also be that she just has a problem with writing and a good OT can help her with her handwriting, in order to make it easier to get the words on the paper.

I would be teaching her how to use a word processor immediately and helping her with her handwriting while either finding someone to take dictation for her or doing it myself.

She sounds like my son exactly, and although he was eventually diagnosed with dyslexia, the teachers did this for him before he was diagnosed and it has helped a lot. He's now in the 4th grade.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

I have a student who is like that as well, except he has ADD which is why he just doesn't write. Someone has to be sitting with him, most of the time, for him to work and even then it is tough. So, I am not sure how to help but maybe could you give her a specific prompt or sentences for her to finish? Most of the students should be past that now, but it sounds like maybe she needs the extra help.

6. TAKlinda

TAKlinda Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

Writing Formula

Since your student can give you a few fact-based ideas, you could try giving her a paragraph outline sheet. It would contain a line for an introductory sentence, three lines for three facts, and a line for a concluding sentence.

Sometimes all students need are 'tools' to help build their confidence.

Linda.
    Teach All Kids.