student goal setting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pashtun, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

do any of you have students set goals or do you set them as a class?
    what goals do you have them set?
    how do students record them
    what process do you use to have students go from setting a goal, steps to working towards the goal, how they know they achieved the goal ...etc.

looking for ideas to better implement gol setting in my class .

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2013

We do goals for reading, writing and math.

In math we do them by unit. They get a worksheet at the beginning of the unit with practice problems of things they'll learn in the unit. They try them and then select a goal for the unit based on how they did on the practice problems.

In reading I pretty much select their goals. I put them on an index card in their book baggie so they bring them home when they read and their parents can see what they need to work on. (Usually I put some questions parents can ask the child while reading or ways to practice the goal on the card.) We discuss and assess it during conferencing.

In writing we set the goal together during a writing conference. Usually when I grade a writing piece I jot down 2-3 things the student needs to work on. Then they also need to write a reflection which asks them what they think they need to improve on. We discuss and come up with a goal. I put it on an index card and staple it into their writing folder.

I have a bulletin board where I stick their index cards after they've achieved a goal. I use it as a way to celebrate their accomplishments. They love seeing one of their goals go up there.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

I have my kids set three goals the first week...it becomes part of my first BB. At new years, we reflect upon how far we've come and set new goals. I ask that kids set two learning goals and the third can be a Personal goal outside of academics.:love:

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2013