Student Gifts for Holidays

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SCTeacher23, Nov 22, 2015.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 22, 2015

A lot of the teachers at my school get gifts for their students for the December holiday season. Does anyone know anywhere that sells books that are around $1? I checked scholastic and there isn't much on sale right now. If not, does anyone get gifts for your students and if so what do you get them?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2015

We spend a day making and decorating gingerbread houses, drinking hot chocolate and watching a movie--that's their gift.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 22, 2015

There are many options that won't cost you any money, or very little money. The years I was departmentalized and had multiple classes, I went with a homework pass, a lunch with teacher pass, and a mini candy cane. The students were just as thrilled with that as anything else.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 22, 2015

I got "Winter According to Humphrey" for all my kiddos on Scholastic. It's great... they all love the Humphrey series anyway :)

6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 22, 2015

I got a free class set of a little paper back books from scholastic when I put in an order in October that was above whatever the minimum amount was and I'm going to give them those since they were free. If I didn't have a free thing to give them I probably wouldn't get them anything. I'm probably going to have to buy all the food for our winter party (we just did a mock first thanksgiving and no one sent in a single thing so I had to provide all the food and I spent nearly 40 $) and that would be their gift since it's not cheap.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 22, 2015

I get my kids personalized pencils from For Teachers Only. They're always a big hit. Here's a link: http://www.forteachersonly.com/static/personalizedpencil.php They're either 99 cents each or $1.19 each, depending on what set you get. Last year, I also wrote a personal card for each kid. I'll need to start those soonish - it takes awhile with 28 kids.

readingrules12 likes this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 22, 2015

I am giving my students those as well!

If I didn't have those, I wouldn't purchase anything. We'll do something fun like watch a holiday cartoon and maybe color or do a word search. Nothing too exciting, but they'll be happy with it.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2015

Daisies... I found black triangle pencils for students for Halloween they loved them. I think are a great little gift!!!

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 23, 2015

I teach high s hook and have almost 200 students, so everyone gets a candy cane. Cheap, but they appreciate it

11. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 23, 2015

I have lots of points on Scholastic so I'll order the $1 books for my class with those. I like the link to the personalized pencils! I may order those as well.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2015

The past couple years, I have got the coupon set from Scholastic and then given each of them a $5 book coupon that they can use in any of the remaining book orders we do until the end of the year. One day I'd actually like to do a gift card to a bookstore or something, but I'll wait until I have more money for that :p

13. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Nov 30, 2015

Last year I bought them a United States puzzle at a local dollar store. We study US history in 5th grade so it goes along with the core.