student-generated vs. teacher-generated class rules?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Leans417, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Just wondering what your thoughts are on classroom rules. Do you have your students come up with them together as a class (with teacher guidance of course), or do you already have them in place from the get-go? Last year, I did student-generated rules but was thinking this year of simplifying it and coming up with a few basic rules myself. What do you do?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2007

I have student and teacher generated rules. I limit it to about 5. The kids will come up with all sorts of things. "No hitting, no punching, no shouting, etc."

We categorize them, and then make general rules based on the things they come up with that are worded positively. I might turn the suggestions above into a rule "calm bodies and quiet voices"

As for procedures, I plan those in advance, such as my signal, directions for how to enter the room, etc.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

I have the idea for the rules that I want them to come up with but give them situations and opportunites to come up with them "on their own".

5. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Last year had my kids come up with the rules and they came up with a HUGE list. I asked them if it was okay if I took all those rules and squash them into 4 or 5 rules (that I had already come up with...). :whistle: So I guess I do both student and teacher generated. :rolleyes:

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I do both also. This year I am coming up with 3 rules myself and then brainstorming with the students for the other two. Then they are going to break up into groups and present why their rule is important for the class. Then we are going to vote on the final two rules, having five altogether.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

This year I am going to create the 5 basic rules, but as we talk about them I am making a T chart that they can fill in . On one side will be "What does it look like?"(ex:I will only use kind words) and on the other side, "What does it sound like?". They can then "help" with the scenarios. I will post my rules in color while the T charts will hang below in black and white. Here are my 5 rules (2nd grade)

1. I will listen to directions the first time they are given.

2. I will always do my best work and will not keep others from doing
    their best work.

3. I will only use kind words.

4. I will keep my hands, feet, and all of my body to myself.

5. I will walk and use a quiet voice in the building.

I plan on using the model-practice, practice, PRAAACTICE with these!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  8. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I did student-generated rules with my partner last year for the first time but we had an ulterior motive. We had already designed a simple set of rules typical in any classroom. We broke the students into groups and had them brainstorm a list of rules. However, we told them that we (the teachers) already had a list and we wanted to see which group could come up with as many of the same rules that we already made. We never told them what our ten were, just that we would take their rules into consideration when making the final list. Groups would later see some of their contributions on the list we had pre-designed. It was a fun activity for the first day of school but the message in the end was, "See? You were thinking just like we were!"

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

100%-I think that is a great idea for 4th graders!

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I had the broad rules already, then let the students come up with the specifics.

Be a good listener--"don't shout out!" "raise your hand" "stay flat on your bottom!" "sit with pretzel-legs or with your legs to the side if you're wearing a skirt!" lol!

The other broad categories were: be kind to others, control your body, show good work habits, and travel nicely through the school

11. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

great comments everyone- thanks for your input! I did what most of you did- had some preconceived rules in my head, but I allowed the kids to come up with them as a class. 100%Canadian, I like your idea. I teach 3rd so that could work for me.