Student Folders

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kyblue07, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Do you keep a folder for each student?

I've done this every year and am reconsidering doing it this year. I've used these in the past for keeping student work samples, notes, etc. I keep contact info, student surveys in a seperate binder and I'm re-thinking why keep an individual folder for every student. I understand this would be a must at elementary level. My students keep interactive notebooks/binders so they keep pretty much everything in those. Is there a need for keeping individual student folders?

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I don't think so. I just keep a binder with their contact info/schedule pages that they fill out the first day of school, which I then use for record keeping. If you wanted to keep work samples in the room (for conferences etc.) you could let the students maintain their own writing portfolios, but I think you're right that having students keep a binder is the easiest way. They need to learn responsibility and that includes keeping their work and being able to produce it if asked.

Now, if a student wrote something that I found troubling, I would keep it and follow appropriate procedures. I might also keep work if I were seeing a problem that needed to be addressed, or if a student plagiarized. But if work is acceptable it should be "safe" to return it to the student for their safekeeping. In fact, I always tell my students that when I give them back their work, they need to keep it for their own protection. That way if there is a record-keeping error on my part they can show me the assignment.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

I use a binder with all of my student info (they fill out a sheet on day 1). I only keep a folder on a student if a lot of documentation starts to build up. I have hanging file folder crates that students use (if they want) to keep stuff for my class.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I keep a folder for each one of my 150 students. I include personal information, tests, and take home papers, and logs if they did not bring back there papers... I teach 8th grade and it makes things easier for if the child needed to be tested or for intervention. The work I have collected on them is all in one place.

6. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I do not keep folders for my students. I think one of the best things to teach middle schoolers is to be organized so I have my students keep their own work. I do keep certain things- such as contact info, certain tests, etc. I also have notebook checks a few times a quarter to ensure they are staying organized. Sometimes I will give out a free homework pass or candy as a reward.

7. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

We are required to have portfolios. Our principal will collect a couple once or twice a year to make sure we have it. Anyone can come in at anytime to make sure all the students have a portfolio. It is supposed to be given to the students new teacher for the next school year (does it all the time- not really?!) It's also used at the end of the year for students who are failing, and as documentation.

So yes, I keep a folder as a portfolio for all students. I have the students put their tests, quizzes, projects, some homework, foldables, etc in the folder.They have to keep it organized. I give them a table of contents sheet and they have to keep the material in order.

8. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

I do the same.

Other than that, I just have a couple folders in my filing cabinet with student info that they fill out the first week of school.

9. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I have my students keep a writing portfolio (folder) and they look at their pieces every quearter and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. This way things don't just get thrown away, and it's a good review for the standardized writing test.

I also give every student a file folder where their claswork can go. It stays in my room in a box, and every period begins with passing out the folders. It also helps with a quick attendance, plus kids don't lose their work as much when there's a clear place for it to be stored.

10. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I did exactly this during student teaching and I plan to use folders again for this upcoming year as well. They will also store their math journals (for bellringer activities) in the folders. As they walk into class, each student will draw out their file from the crate and start working.

I also hand back work and let them turn in work through the folders - I found it to be much less distracting and classtime-consuming this way.

11. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I guess it's all up to district expectations and individual needs. I definitely want work samples of my students, but perhaps I could incorporate these into their notebooks and do away with the individual folders. I could always use their notebooks as samples or evidence.

12. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Jul 30, 2008

kyblue07, what subject do you teach? As a fellow KY teacher, all LA teachers have to keep a working folder on students. Where do you teach?

13. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I teach U.S. History in Greenup, Ky. I do several portfolio-appropriate writings and keep these in folders in my classroom. I've asked who and when to send these on to because, as you know, they are suppose to go in the students' writing folders that follow them from grade to grade. No one ever wanted or asked for them. I let our LA teacher know that I had these pieces and she didn't seem interested in them. I'm kind of confused about that. We are supposed to be doing portfolio writing in content classes and I do and keep them to be added to their ongoing writing portfolios, but no one ever wants them or bothers to put them in the portfolios. Whose responsibility is it to collect these and put them in the ongoing writing portfolios? I've as much as taken them to our LA person and I was pretty much looked at like I was really silly.

14. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I think student folders is an excellent idea. A school I used to work at had workbooks that all student work was done in, which was kept in the classroom for ease of access.

Was very helpful if marking a submitted peice (usually a computer printout) and needing to have a look at the planning phase aswell.