Student filmed me in class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by beginningteacher, Jan 31, 2017.

1. beginningteacher

beginningteacher New Member

Jan 31, 2017

I am a beginning teacher.

I have just started the school year last week and I have a few disruptive students in my senior class.
    I teach a very low level of maths.
    A particular student 'A' was very disrespectful towards me in my first lesson with them. After he found out I had taught his step brother 'B' last year. A asked B how I was as a teacher. B was also a difficult student but I later formed a great respectful relationship with him in my class. A told me that B had said I was the best teacher ever.
    From that moment on A and a few other naughty kids have gained a positive relationship with me. They are not perfect but they respect me.

However today A informed me that his brother B had been suspended possibly to be expelled. I said I was sad about this news and hope that his brother B can be ok and come back to school in the right mind.

A then whips out his phone and I believe he starated recording me saying I should tell B myself. I told him repeatedly to put his phone away and he finally did.
    However now I am nervous that he has now got a snippet or a short video of me, his teacher on his mobile.

My school has a strict no mobile phone policy and I guess I should have confiscated but it was within the last few minutes of the last session of the day.
    Should I do something like ask him to delete the video or am I just stressing out?

3. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 31, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Secondary Teach and ms.irene like this.
  4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 31, 2017

We just received an email from our admin recently about students filming teachers. Apparently it is happening without the teacher's knowledge and this is illegal. The principal made it very clear that there will be consequences for students who film their teachers. If you are worried about it, I would talk to your principal.

SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2017

This is why students should not have phones in their possessions at school. Period.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2017

What about districts, like mine, who give students devices like iPads to use in class? I agree that they shouldn't be using the devices this way, but the reality is that they are. Districts need to seriously crack down on kids who are filming people without their consent. We also need to thoroughly educate kids on why this is illegal and such a huge invasion of privacy.

7. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 31, 2017

Though this is good practice, I still believe that no matter how professional one may act you never know what “material” may be obtained and re-edited into something condemning. That said, it should be forbidden to have cell phone in use in the class room.

As for OP, I do not know how relaxed or not your school may be, but you may have bit yourself when you did not confiscate the phones, especially when there is video evidence.

2ndTimeAround and nstructor like this.
  8. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 31, 2017

Beginningteacher, you should be fine. This happens more often than not. As long as you weren't saying something or acting inappropriately admin shouldn't find out about it.
    :)
    Usually, these are upper income schools that have access to these technologies. I'm not saying these students don't misbehave, but they typically are more behaved than the lower income schools and students that don't have access to the technology such as school issued IPads so it's more of an issue with the particular student using their own iphones in class and not because the schools are issuing the technologies to the students.
    :)

9. MrFrank35

MrFrank35 Rookie

Jan 31, 2017

Students have access to all sorts of technology capable or recording you ( phones, iPads, iPods) ultimately it will be to the school administration and how tough they will be on violations. All the more reason to watch what you say and always be professional..

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2017

This is unfortunate. I do need some clarification please. You said that you just started the school year last week, but taught the step brother last year?

11. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 31, 2017

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 31, 2017

We have 1:1 i pads (and we're a very low SES district, btw). When we first got them I caught a couple of kids filming me in class. In their case, I truly think they just thought it was funny and weren't trying to "catch me" saying something wrong or anything like that (although of course there are kids that will try that too). I took it VERY seriously. In addition to the giant lecture that I gave them during their recess time, I didn't allow them to use the i pad in class at all for two weeks and wouldn't let them have any sort of free time with the i pad for an additional 2 weeks after that while they earned my trust back.

13. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jan 31, 2017

This is why I think all schools should have a no cell phone policy or do what they do in Korea now and other countries. When students come in the room, all cell phone activity is cut off except for emergency calls like 911 by some type of bandwidth deactivator. Otherwise some teachers are going to be more strict about it, and some aren't. Sometimes a kid will sneak it and it's hard to prove they had it out. Some teachers will allow it for school use, even though it's not used for school work when teachers aren't looking. I'm honestly tired of policing this everyday at my school.

14. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Feb 3, 2017