Student demanded I grade his work first

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Mar 2, 2017.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 2, 2017

So today is progress report today. We are on an A/B schedule, so I was planning on giving out B day reports today, A day tomorrow. A student from my A day comes in this morning and wants to know why his grade is so low. We are four weeks into the semester and he has been in my class five days the whole semester. One day, he came in an slept the whole block. He has been OSS and ISS, or absent. We use Google Classroom, so students know what is going on in class if they are not there. I post weekly any missing classwork assignments that are sent specifically to absent students. He turned in 3 assignments on Monday. So, he is still missing 9 assignments, and I have exempted him from 8.

He came demanding his progress report, wanting to know why his grade was so low. I tried to explain that he's been absent, and that he can make it up. He then demanded that I give him his progress report at that moment, and his missing work. When I told him that even if he gave me the missing work today, it will not be graded until probably next week--new work comes before makeup work. He told me that I wasn't doing my job.

I did give him what he wanted--probably shouldn't have--but I could see it becoming an issue, so frankly, just decided to do it. However, when the work comes in, I'll get to it when I get to it.

Just made me so angry this morning!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2017

I think you were okay giving him the material he demanded (think of it more that you did it for your own sake, not his), but stick to your guns about your grading pecking order. In the meantime, feel free to print this out and place it at your desk:
    [​IMG]

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 2, 2017

Off topic, but it'd be nice to give this to an admin or two.

AmyMyNamey and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 2, 2017

:D:rofl:true!

6. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Mar 5, 2017

If any child demanded I do something, I can guarantee that it would not be done until they learned how to speak to an adult. My students know from the first day that I do not play around with grades, and I reinforce my seriousness about grades weekly. Therefore, when grades are due I get little to no begging, whining, or fake confusion about make up work or why their grade is what it is.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 6, 2017

My school has a long tradition of letting students whine and complain--I'm trying to change that in my classroom, and we have a relatively new administration who is also trying to fix that problem. I am sitting here right now listening the a young lady talk about she will take her EOC test when she feels like it--because for years we've allowed them to not take it on the original day assigned.

8. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Mar 6, 2017

My school has a no zero policy and basically all late work accepted. It's tough combatting that inside a classroom. Was definitely a shock to me as I'm just in my second year. However I get around that by assigning a lot of work that cannot be made up or would take a great deal of effort to make up (excused absences not penalized). Such as daily discussion questions, unit essays, and daily participation. With some stuff I guess you can't find loopholes for like EOCs, but maybe enough other stuff in your room will limit that. Though, when students complain or try to be the tough guy I just ignore it and let them talk a big game- knowing I have the final say when grades are due. And when good students who really try and have respect come asking for extra credit or favors, I gladly oblige.

9. MrK

MrK Rookie

Mar 7, 2017

I had a student come into me today and said her mom checks her grade on Thursday (when grades update) and said I needed to get her grade up by then. I looked at her and said that I will get to it when I get to it and students that demand their work graded right away have all of their work moved to the bottom of my pile. I hate when students do that. It's so obnoxious how demanding these students can be.

2ndTimeAround likes this.