Student Defense

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Strick, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jan 9, 2015

So, a middle school in my system has sent letters home asking students to bring canned goods with them in case of an intruder. This way, the students can (haha, see what I did there) defend themselves by throwing the cans at the intruder. :eek:

Does anyone else have this going on, and what are your thoughts about it?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 9, 2015

Ummmm....????
    Never heard of this!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 9, 2015

It sounds like a weird take on ALICE. The c stands for counter, but it's emphasized as a last resort-basically throw anything you can and do anything you can to buy time for police to arrive. There's plenty to throw in a classroom though should the situation unfortunately arise.

5. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jan 9, 2015

That's what I was thinking. We have a big closet, and my students know to get the books from there to throw if needed. But asking them to bring CANS? I found this a little strange.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

Is the idea to collect those cans at the end of the year for a food drive? That's the only way this makes sense to me.

7. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jan 9, 2015

Ditto.
    Otherwise this comes off as a kinda paranoid and frankly just a bit weird. o_O

8. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 9, 2015

Very odd.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 9, 2015

The only other thing I could see was it was suggested that we keep snacks and water in our rooms in the event of a lockdown (like if the bank in town was robbed). Still super weird though...

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

So, when the gun wielding intruder comes in, they are going to defend themselves by throwing soup and beans at him?

Makes sense to me ... :rolleyes:

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 9, 2015

Hit him right between the eyes (maybe with spaghettios? ) :eek:

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2015

You could start a martial art off of it an call it Can-po.

But honestly this is weird. I can see though the benefit. Cans are easy to access, easier to wield than backpacks or textbooks, and can be handy if a large rock isn't.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2015

This made me laugh out loud.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2015

This is creative and very strange. More evidence as to why we just need to have more guns for protection in the schools.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2015

I've never heard of such a thing for a school to do. I know in my personal life, my BF & I joke sometimes about how (such & such item we have) will make a good weapon!

I'd figure the two reason above as well.

If it's about hitting the intruder, cans are much easier to handle than an awkward book! Paperweights are good too, but there's usually not many of them around. :)

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 10, 2015

I suspect that the presence of more guns in school would end up doing far more harm than good.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2015

If they are meant to be used only in situations where there are intrusions by people who have the intent to kill people in the school; I think that would be beneficial. For one, If those crazy people knew there were weapons there to protect, they would be less likely to attack. Most of them are spineless and attack those who are unaware and unprotected.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

I'm sorry but that sounds like one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

What other situations are people thinking the guns would be used for?

I typically agree with grade3 on this one, not a fan of guns make us safe, unless they are in the hands of law enforcement.

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

I just think that one of the main reasons schools get attacked is because it is well known that there is not defense weapons on site. The attack where they can't attack you back mentality.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 11, 2015

I think schools get attacked because if a kid gets angry, peers and teachers (and family) are likely targets. A kid probably won't get irate at his local Walgreens or bank.

We have seen shootings in other places, even on military bases, which are pretty well armed. I have a good friend whose husband is stationed at Fort Hood. We all know what happened there. Bank robberies happen, despite the fact that a robber is likely to run into security there. My own town's bank has been robbed at least twice in recent years.

The motivation behind the attack matters.

As far as being armed, it could cause more problems. Aurora pops right into my mind. It's a dark, smokey theater. I sure wouldn't want MORE guns coming into play.

I also wouldn't want to be holding a gun when the cops bust in looking for a shooter. I very well may freeze instead of dropping the gun and the cops have to make a split second decision. Just my :2cents: though after speaking to our local cops at an ALICE training.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

I REALLY want to meet the administrator that came up with this idea.

Cue balls are about the only non-explosive thing you can possibly throw at someone that might hurt them. And it has to hit just the right part of the head.

Best bet would be to have a baseball bat and try to hit from behind. Or perhaps a long pole that could quickly be fashioned into a pike.

But considering I'm the most non-violent person ever, I might have no clue what I'm talking about.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 13, 2015

24. Strick

Strick Rookie

Jan 13, 2015

Oh my gosh! That's CNN! This is why people from Alabama get made fun of!!!!

Anyway, it is part of the ALICE plan. I think that having something would be good if something like that happens. However, knowing the school, there has been threat of gang violence, and I feel that the added cans could be used against the school.

The part that I was more concerned with was that it began frightening the students and parents that something could happen. While this can happen to any school, it seemed to put a bit of a shock in the area that , hey, one of our schools could have something bad happen to them.

I am glad that they are preparing in one way or another, but I do worry that it could backfire against them sometime.

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 13, 2015

I am watching the CBS news, and I can't believe it had this story on it! I think the idea is as crazy as anything I can remember ever hearing.

Wait! Now I finally have a use for those boring basals and grossly outdated textbooks on my bookshelf. Lookout terrorists, there might be some Science textbooks from the 1990s flying at you. (First got to get that dust off of them.)

26. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 14, 2015

Our school is encouraging students to throw items at intruders as well. My understanding was that if the intruder made it as far as the classroom, it's better to throw things to distract them and make it difficult to aim. It'd be hard to pick a target with 25 different things flying toward you. They would also be more likely to leave. We would use things around the room, such as textbooks, pencils, staplers, bottles of water, etc.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 14, 2015

NO! Leave the dust on. The terrorist will sneeze and not know what hit him!!!

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 14, 2015

This is the way I learned it. The term used was "OODA LOOP" which means every time something changes, you have to observe, orient, decide, and act. So a bunch of things continually flying at you would definitely make it harder to hit your target. (Obviously not impossible, but if someone gets into my room, I will try to fight and survive)