Student Crush

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioTeach22, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BioTeach22

BioTeach22 Rookie

Jan 25, 2011

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around for a while. As a new teacher I must tell you all how tremendously helpful you have been. Rarely do I even need to start a thread as you all are already talking about my topic of concern. Until now that is. I'm hoping you can guide me in the current situation I've found myself.

My school encourages students and parents to communicate with instructors electronically as many of us are part time teachers and not on campus all day everyday. One of my students emailed me he thinks I am attractive. This is high school, 9th grade. Personally, I've known for a while about his burgeoning crush and have really just been ignoring it and assuming it would go away due to the natural attention span of a 14 year-old boy.

What should I do? Keep ignoring it? Say thanks but your feelings aren't appropriate - seems mean since teacher crushes are part of growing up. I definitely limit times when he may be able to get me alone - my class is right after lunch and he comes to class early. Now I leave the class to prep in the "lounge" if he comes in.

What words of wisdom can you give me here?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

Be gentle. It seems that this is becoming something that you cannot ignore any longer. But you do need to choose your words kindly and do this in the presence of another teacher if you choose to talk with him.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

I think that you should also notify the counselor and your supervising administrator. They need to be aware of this.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2011

To be precise, I think your administrator needs to know you know he or she knows. Think of this as a form of career insurance.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2011

Ignore it and pass it along to the counselor or principal.

Responding to it in any way can be seen by some people as an invitation to continue the conversation. Ignoring it stops it cold.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 25, 2011

I would tell your admin and do exactly what they recommend. They may want you to ignore it, they may want you to respond. I wouldn't do anything without notifying admin first.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2011

Straight to your administrator, you should go. Don't jeopardize your career.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

DO NOT EMAIL HIM BACK. Tell an administrator and listen/follow the advice he/she gives you.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 25, 2011

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 25, 2011

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

12. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Jan 25, 2011

I had a very similar situation, but with a FOURTH GRADER! This student was becoming extremely obsessed with me to the point that I did not feel comfortable anymore. I had sent the student to guidance and the principal and it got to the point where I couldn't have this student in my class any more. Tomorrow is his last day :-/

Anyway my point is I think you really need to make sure the principal is aware of this. I bugged mine every day. This is your career, and don't do anything to jeopardize it.

13. New Teacher TX

New Teacher TX Rookie

Jan 25, 2011

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2011

You must be extremely cautious in this situation. Take the necessary steps toprotect yourself.

15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2011

Definitly do this also save or print off all his emails etc.

16. BioTeach22

BioTeach22 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011

Thanks everyone. I have printed and saved his email and I am off to the Dean this morning.

17. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 26, 2011

I would def. inform the principal or another co worker. Also, always leave you door open when you have students in your room

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2011

I agree w/ the above. Also, I think this is a topic that should be briefly talked about at all high schools' beginning of the yr staff meetings, so all teachers know exactly how to proceed w/ this.

19. BioTeach22

BioTeach22 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011

Nasirahc83 - Keeping doors open is not an option at our school. It's winter and our doors open to the outside world. Talk about chilly!!!

Ms. I - I completely agree. I wish some of these topics could be addressed at the beginning of the year. I am at a very small charter school. 300 students total between 7th-12th grade. Everyone is very friendly and extremely helpful but I wish there was more done proactively rather than the attitude of come see me when you have an issue.

Things have gone well though. My Dean was understanding and supportive.