Student Council

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 21, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2012

My elementary school has a Student Council. Each 3-5 classroom has a representative, and then there are four 5th grade officers.

This year, there are new teachers in charge of Student Council. (All teachers I work very closely with and know very well.)

Anyway, I had several students run for an office, and one who was only interested in being a representative. Elections were today and no one in my class was voted into an 'office'.

Here is the debate:
    I believe that my kids that were not elected into an officer position should have a chance to be the representative. (It was always done this way in the past.)

One teacher in charge of student council thinks it should automatically go to the person who only wanted to be a representative. One of the other teachers were absent and I have no idea what the third one's opinion is.

I simply do not agree. These kids should have a chance to be the representative. They should have at least been told up front that they could either run for office or run for representative.

What do you all think? (We left today disagreeing and I have to have my rep's name on Monday.)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2012

I used the analogy- Paul Ryan will still be a Congressman if he doesn't become the VP. Four years ago, Sarah Palin was still the governor of Alaska after she lost out on becoming the VP.

It shouldn't be all or nothing.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2012

I teach high school so this may be different, but those students who are not voted in as an officer are automatically on student council as reps. Then each grade level selects 2 reps.

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 21, 2012

I'm the student council advisor at my Elementary school. We do not choose class reps until after elections because many of the students who ran want to be selected as reps if they don't win. I encourage teachers to have their interested students write a letter explaining why they would be the best choice. Many of us read our letters to each other (without names) to be unbiased when choosing the best reps.

We have 5 officers (only president needs to be a 6th grader) and each 4-6 class has 2 class reps.

6. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

We do it like the other posters mentions. If the student does not win an office position, they can still run of representative.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2012

I ignored the requests from those is charge and held a mini election today :D The one person was OK with it. We'll see what happens when my direct teammate sees. But the letter already went home ;)