Student Council/Leadership Class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by KatieC, Jul 7, 2010.

1. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I've been teaching Student Council (middle school level) for the past three years as my elective. It is a leadership class that handles the things that most StuCo clubs do- community service, school spirit, fundraising, etc. My class meets daily for an hour and I tend to have most of the same students for both semesters during the year.

I was hoping to find others who teach a similiar class or advise a club that would be willing to share ideas. I am in the process of creating a new syllabus for my class and looking for new activities and assignments for my students.

Thanks in advance!!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

We have a leadership class at the high school. I know they read 7 habits of highly effective teens.

4. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 7, 2010

High school StuCo moderator here--I'd be happy to share ideas, but I don't teach a class. I meet with my StuCo one a month (about 80 students) and with the Executive Board 1-2 a month. We organize the "fun" activities around the school, and we participate in quite a few service projects.

5. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 8, 2010

I also do not teach a class, but I am the club sponsor. Last year, we started a newsletter that was printed once a month. :woot: The newsletter (one page, front and back) included things like scholarship information, ACT and other academic deadlines, tips on being a leader, quotes from famous leaders, crossword puzzles, jokes, leader of the month (teachers nominated one student from each class and we randomly drew a name - a short write-up by the teacher was also included), information/congratulations to the other clubs/sports for accomplishments, etc. The students came up with most of the ideas and because the paper was only one-page, front and back, we rotated the headlines. This kept the paper interesting. :haha: The club members loved it because they were able to use technology and other skills and talents that were not being used. I didn't think this project would be approved since we already have a school paper that is printed twice a month, but was ecstatic when it was. We raised funds to pay for the paper, ink, etc. with a bake sale during our town's festival. :)