Student computer printing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2014

How do you/school handle student printing?
    How often? Color? Where are the printers/copiers?

We currently have no limits on any printing...teacher or student. Printing is sent to the colored printer or copier in the lounges. The rule is no students in the lounges, but that causes problems because printing sits until teachers have that moment to get it. I think there are only two options...move the copier/printer or allow the students to get it. Neither is feasible I guess. What do you do?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

Our student printers are in the library which is a central location in our building. Teachers who have classrooms far away from the library have a printer in their classroom and can choose to have students print there (or not). Students need permission to print to the color printers.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2014

We are supposed to limit color printing to final copies. Our tech coordinator asks teachers to not run 'class sets' on printers and to use copiers instead.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2014

Our student netbooks are not set up to print. I have to print from my computer which is also set up to the smartboard. I usually wait for all printing until the lab is open. Printers are there too.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2014

There are no student printers, just like there is no library or student computer lab. The only teachers with a printer in their room had to buy the printer with their own money. Admin and office staff have their own printers which teachers and students can never use. Thus, our teachers rarely ask students to type and print things for class.

If a student wants/has to print, they have to ask a teacher to print the assignment for them from the teachers' lounge (which only has one printer and one working computer).

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 29, 2014

Printers are located in dept. chairs' classrooms. Tech head honcho says students are not allowed to print to them and has told teachers not to print for students. I don't but catch all kinds of flack from kids because of it.

Students can pay (.01) per copy to print at library. I keep pennies and library passes handy when I assign reports.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 29, 2014

Students can print whenever they want, but everything is B/W. They print to the same machines that the teachers use. These machine are in hallways or rooms throughout the building.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2014

Hallways?:eek: Your Admin is not afraid of damage or theft?

10. EducatingSally

EducatingSally Rookie

Apr 1, 2014

Our students can print in black and white whenever they want and need permission to print in colour.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 1, 2014

No. There is a camera on the area, but we've had three years without incident.

12. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 1, 2014

We don't have a color printer. Students can copy and print in the media center for 10 cents a sheet. Teachers have no limit on B&W copying but are asked to use as little paper as possible to save money. I have a personal color printer, scanner, and copier all in one in my room but students aren't allowed to use it. But most teachers have a district printer in their room and department chairs have printers that are connected to the network so teachers who don't have a printer can print.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 1, 2014

We have 2 computer labs, and each lab has a printer. Students can print, but we're supposed to use it only when necessary, and they prefer black and white (one lab has a color printer).

The district has a Print Center for teachers to send in print jobs. We are limited to 200 copies on the copy machine per month. Each classroom used to have its own printer, but they are really old, and they aren't replacing them when they break. Mine was removed for last month. Teachers are allowed to print in the labs, but it is highly discouraged, other than personal information, like student data.

14. teachme101

teachme101 New Member

Apr 3, 2014

Surprised nobody has mentioned paperless. Our school has greatly pushed homework/assignments being done on the computer and shared with the teachers electronically.

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 3, 2014

I can't imagine being limited to 200 copies per month. Do all students have devices to complete assignment?

I try to avoid using worksheets and handouts as much as possible, but it's really hard considering the lack of other tech options. Even centers or activities require printing, quite often.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 4, 2014

We can send as much as we want to the print center, but we can only make 200 copies at school.