student "checkbooks"

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by tb71, Jul 29, 2010.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

I'm considering giving the students "checkbooks" they can earn "money" for test grades, behavior etc. and lose money, they'll have to write me a check when they don't have supplies, behavior etc. I'm not sure if I should give them a beginning balance or not and if so how much. Also, at the end of the 9wks I would like to have stuff they can buy...any suggest that won't cost me a fortune?
    Thanks!!

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

THis is how my 12th grade economics classwas run...sort of...each day of being in class we were paid $7 or some thing...then each test grade had a dollar value as well as HW assignments...we need x amount of dollars to buy an A, B, C, D...I thought it was great!

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

Do you remember what the prizes were? I want to get the students something they would work hard to get.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

Our prizes were our quarter grade!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

BUt we were in 12th grade so thinking differently than a 6th grader

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

You're right...most of my 6th graders aren't concerned with their grades as much as their parents are. I'm thinking maybe a homework pass, computer time, lunch outside with a friend...these are a few things I could do at no cost.

8. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

If you're not a control freak (I am), you could have them write your daily stuff on the board. Learning targets, daily agenda, etc. I know my kids would have loved to do that and then add "So-and-So wrote this!" at the bottom.

Extra hall passes?

You can get a huge assortment of pencils from Oriental Trading, and let them buy pencils. Same thing with erasers and pencil sharpeners.

How will you make sure that they're not paying themselves?

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

Great idea--letting the students write the agenda on the board. I had several that love that last year. Aas far as paying themselves...I hadn't thought of that but I'm thinking I could initial their entries. Hmmm...something to think about

10. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 4, 2010

great idea...lots of leg work though...if you know the students their may be one especially responsible one to at least do the initialling for you!

11. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

Good idea. I know it sounds like lots of leg work...I'm trying to make it as simple as possible. If you have any ideas on that, please feel free to share.