Student Cheated on My Final

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, Jun 20, 2011.

1. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jun 21, 2011

lol Cerek, well played. ;)

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 21, 2011

Thanks. I have my moments. :)

I did take pity on the guy, because he was a friend. I didn't tell him any answers, but did tell him which parts of the material he might want to focus on while studying - kind of like the Praxis site tells what percentage of the questions on the test come from different concepts or applications.

3. gamerTeacher

gamerTeacher Rookie

Jun 21, 2011

When I was in high school, a friend of mine would write answers on her pants (they were plaid). She always got away with it. :unsure:

I love allowing cheat sheets, esp for formula heavy classes, like physics or math.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

I am pretty sure most would just say they don't have it.

I totally agree with this. My students do their work to get it done and get a check in the gradebook, not to learn anything.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

While I don't think it would prevent a kid from cheating, I did warn my kids before finals:

You probably want to either put your phone on the teacher's desk or remove its batteries.

If it goes off in front of the room, you have a problem-- you've broken school policy. That's 5 demerits.

But if it goes off in your possession, or falls out of your pocket and is on, you've also gotten a zero on the exam.

Most did as asked. Several took the batteries out, out of fear that they would forget their phones 3 hours later.

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 21, 2011

I don't think I had a teacher in H.S. allow cheat sheets. I did have a few professors in college that did. We were allowed one piece of paper, back and front and we could put as much on there as we could fit. I write so small that I managed to get all vocab words and definitions, all examples from the text plus answers, notes from class, etc. onto the cheat sheet.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

The sad reality is that when exams start the day after the last day of school, and grades are due at 10 am the day after finals, and there are 3 exam periods a day with no breaks, and 35 kids packed into a small room, then yes, cheating will probably occur. Between exams themselves and the regular end of year work, I HAVE to grade during exams. Even if I took work home, there aren't enough hours in the day to finish. That is the environment that is created when funding is cut from public schools. (Although, I would prefer we just cut the formal exam all together...)

This reminds me of a friend of mine who had really long hair in high school. She would tape a piece of paper to the inside of her hair. Writing on the arm or bottom of the shoe were also popular. I also remember seeing a guy get busted in college for having a cheat sheet inside his calculator lid.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

We had a kid who got busted one time at mass.

Mass is after 2nd period. Apparently he had a 2nd period test. He went up to receive Communion, opened his hands and... BUSTED!!! the notes were written there.

Of course, he didn't realize he was busted until after mass.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 21, 2011

The closest I ever got to cheating was in 9th grade Latin. We had notebooks where we were supposed to keep our... well, notes. We were allowed to bring them into our final along with any loose papers we might have with notes. I photocopied the glossary from the back of my textbook and stuck it in there. The teacher was about to retire and didn't care.

10. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 21, 2011

In Physics in HS the teacher would let us bring a formula card and use it for our equations. I used to staple a few together because my handwriting is so big I could never fit as much as other people on one card!

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

I pulled off the calculator lid idea once. The thing is I got the idea from a teacher in high school who allowed us to have a 3x5 card with as many notes/formulas as we could fit on it for math tests. I had that card throughout high school and it stayed in my calculator when I went to college. I thought, I used this throughout high school, why not on my first college math test as well. No big deal.

When it comes to having access to tests (I did in high school, not college) I didn't have any friends ask for the tests, I don't think they knew I could get to them. Everyday I thought about looking at those math tests, because I was in the classroom while the teacher was out on is prep (I had a T.A. hour while he had prep). He was off campus and the door was locked with me in the room, I knew I could get away with it. But I thought I was good enough where I didn't need it. So instead I just made sure that I got full credit on my math assignments, even though I didn't do them all.