student chatting?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Sep 21, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 21, 2005

Hello, my question for the subs out there is, "Do you allow students to chat while they work or do you make them work silently the whole period? Or maybe work silently then chat last few minutes of class?" I'd appreciate any information. Thanks:)

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2005

I think that depends on what class that I am in and if the kids in the class seem to be doing their work. At the elementary level for the most part unless they are specifically working on a group project I keep them pretty quiet. Their attention span as we all know is pretty short so keeping them on task is pretty important. Middle school and high schoolers I let talk unless I realize that they are not getting anything done in class. Some classes just naturally have talkers, while other classes I have to litterally pull words out just to do some form of communication. Mainly I take it by a class by class situation. Oh when the teacher leaves busy work and its obvious that the teacher has left busy work. The kids say things like we have done this worksheet 100 times and they finish in 5 minutes, I usually let them talk more than what I would normally.

4. msm123

msm123 Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

I totally agree with txmomteacher2 I am subbing in the middle school and some of the classes dont say a word they sit there quietly and do their busy work other classes wont shut up. But I have never had a problem yet where there has been to much talking. It definitely depends on the class.

5. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 22, 2005

Thanks for your replies. I should have been more specific. I was referring to high school. I usually let them talk, but then I hear of subs that allow absolutely no talking at all. I didn't know if I was being too nice. I have been to sub classes where the teacher has left busy work that the students already did. Why do they do that? I wish they would leave work that really needs to be done and maybe graded. That would help a lot at the hs level I think.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 22, 2005

Katarina, I agree with you completely. The work they leave needs to be meaningful and it needs to be work they haven't already done. And to go one more, it should be specified that the work is due at the end of class. I have had too many students choose to talk and just say: "I'll do it for homework." When you're a sub and only there for a day, what you say doesn't often hold much weight, the teacher needs to account for all of that to help you do your job as effectively as possible.

7. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

Oh boy, I have yet to have a class that does not chat endlessly. It has been why I am tearing my hair. They tell me that they have "freedom of speech!" Teachers leave notes on the board that say NO TALKING. They still chat. I have been led to believe that today's culture works with distraction and that chatter is just one of those distractions that they are trained to endure. Do you believe that? I need help dealing with this phenomenon, too.

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 24, 2005

I guess as subs, they are going to chat unless we are willing to write them up are send them to the office for disobeying our rules. I think it's terrible that we subs are ready to pull our hair out and have migraines from dealing with these kids (mainly high schoolers). We don't get close to the pay or perks like their real teacher, yet we get literally mentally abused almost each day. yet we don't give up. I think we are a strong breed that even venture to the hs because I know many subs who won't even do anything but elementary.
    Anyway, I think that schools should have a policy regarding subs in place so that we are not treated so rudely by students. I think that's the least a school could do for us. That alone is a perk :)