student book baskets?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherKay9, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I'm implementing Reader's Workshop in my 3rd grade classroom and need ideas of what to use for individual student book baskets. I'm broke and not sure the school would buy any baskets, so I need something cheap and/or free. Just wondering what options work well for student book baskets that the students keep at their desks during reading? I've thought about cereal boxes that I could cut to use as book baskets or zip-lock bags. Would appreciate any ideas and management ideas for the student book boxes.
    Thanks!

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

I got some at Dollar Tree. So, it was about $25 for my whole class.

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Try target. They have all shapes and sizes that are used to hold the planner and folders that they sell there. Last time I went, I reorganized all of there half-empty containers and gained 4 FREE durable red containers for books/folders.

5. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I have seen some teachers use the rectangular shaped tall ice cube trays from walmart (not sure the cost). They don't take up that much space and they are tall so they support the books.

6. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Ikea has awesome magazine boxes! They have plain white and some with designs on them, I got a package of 5 for 2.99.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

Go to the office stores and Wal Mart and ask them for the cardboard storage boxes that the file folders came in. They are like wider magazine files. They should give them to you since they'll just toss them out.

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

Exactly what I posted about!
    Upsadaisy, we can't tell too many people otherwise there won't be any for us next year! Hee-hee. just kidding:p

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I actually just used large ziplock bags last year. They also had a folder for the papers and their response journals.

This year, I bought magazine organizers (IKEA.) They will hold a journal, a folder and their books. They can bring them to the tables for SSR and writers or readers workshop.

10. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 9, 2007

dollar tree or any other the dollar stores probably also carry dish trays, not sure what they really call them... the container you used to use (before dishwashers) to wash your dishes in

11. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Dish pan! I've used these. In fact, they're what I use in my son's bedroom for his million books. They work beautifully.

12. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 9, 2007

yes, that's the word i was looking for :)

13. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

If you are really strapped for cash, you could use cereal boxes. Just cut them out like mag file holders. I guess you could say they have ENVIRONMENTAL PRINT on the outside!

14. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I don't know if you have cubbies in your room, but last year I had the kids store their books and things in cubbies and then just get them out during workshop time. It worked okay. This year I bought the dollar plastic file holder bins from target to use. We'll see how it goes.

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

cover the cereal boxes with decorative contact paper.

16. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 9, 2007

When you use cereal boxes you can also cover them with contact paper to make them a little stronger.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

Check the salvation Army or Good will if you want real baskets, they might have them cheap--- tell the manager what size and how many you need and offer $.25 each.

18. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

thanks

these ideas are wonderful - thanks soooo much! I think I'll check walmart or target this weekend! Please keep posting if you think of something else! :)

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2007

The cat's out of the bag now, uclalum!!

20. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

If you don't mind storing them in a different location you could buy the canvas shoe holders. Each one has 12 spots. I hang them and use them to hold my students mail. They could easily hold a book. They are at Dollar Tree.

21. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I bought a bunch of plastic baskets with handles!!!!! From...where else?? The Dollar Tree!!! I am in love with these baskets because unlike ziploc bags, they are almost indestructable!!! They come in different colors, durable and have handles at the top so my kids were able to move their baskets from the shelf, to their reading spots, back to their desks etc. with no problem. And to clean them, all you have to do is wipe them down. I think these were the best thing I've invested in all year! I even went out and bought 4 more, just in case.:2up:

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

I also plan to use ziplock bags for their books. I plan to buy the large sized ones and have them keep their baggies in their a file in a crate. They will also keep their reading journal and folder in their file. So, when it's time for readers workshop, all they have to do is grab their file.

23. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I also used big ziplocs, but some of the kids filled theirs too full and they began to fall apart in about March. I guess I'll be monitoring that closer this year. When I ran out of zip bags, I started collecting plastic bags with handles from the Noodles restaurant and Forever 21 clothing store, and taped a big index card with the kid's name over the writing. I keep them all in a laundry basket. Takes up less space that individual magazine boxes, which I have also used.

24. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

success!

Thanks for so many ideas everyone!

I went to Walmart yesterday and talked to a sales associate in the school supply section to be sure it was ok. She helped me consolidate any folders and binders that were for sale and we ended up with about 15 folder boxes. They are pretty sturdy and are all one color. I may cover the price on the box with a sticker with each student's name on it. I needed 21, plus a few extra to be on the safe side, so I also ended up with some display boxes for crayola crayons. But I also hit the grocery side of the store and found that the display boxes that hold mixes for mashed potatoes are the perfect book box/basket size as well. So I consolidated the mash potatoes and grabbed some of those boxes too. Walked out with a cart, now car trunk full, of cardboard that Walmart was just going to trash and it was all easy and especially FREE! So I'm happy. Now I just have to figure out where in the classroom to _keep_ the book boxes....hmmmm.......:lol: