Student Banking System/Reward System

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by IloveKinder, Nov 7, 2007.

1. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Nov 7, 2007

I am a talented and gifted teacher for third and fourth graders. I have really had a tough time with behavior management in the 4th grade. The unit we are working on right now is banking so I thought that I could extend the banking unit into a b-mod plan for the year. I plan to "deposit" money into the kids' checking accounts for good behavior and "withdraw" for bad behavior. Kids will keep track of their account balance in a check register. They will be able to use their money to purchase prizes such as pens, pencils, lunch with me, etc. Any ideas on prizes and how much these should cost?

3. revlove

revlove Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

I am trying the same approach with my children's ministry. I give points for certain things, behavior being the primary. Once a month they get to go to the 'store'.
    The problem I have is: point values vs. prize value. How much it too much, and how cheap can I get without really being considered 'cheap'. What a dilemma. :help:

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 6, 2007

I'm not a fan of monetary rewards at all...little Johnny and Suzy will want more than just the plastic toy or sticker you give them for their behavior efforts. Pretty soon it all adds up and in the trash later on.

What kind of intrinsic rewards can you do instead of saving up for monetary rewards?

I like the idea of keeping track of things like a bank, but can you do something else as a whole? 1 marble in the jar for each day the entire class works as a team...and don't remove any at all or they'll just give up on their goal. Make the goal to have X amount of marbles at the end of the week for free time outside, in the gym, play games, etc. Once they get adapted to the marble jar, move on to something else different to count and make the prize the same.

Good luck!

5. revlove

revlove Rookie

Dec 6, 2007

What I normally do is shop at the dollar store, i find multiple items for a dollar or two. I then figure perhaps a dime a point. Usually most of the kids only end up with about 20-25 points. But when you have up to 20-23 kids shopping, even that can add up.

Because it is a church sponsored program, and I try to keep my spending down, I look for items that they would like. (boys like bouncie balls, cars, etc... the girls like pencils, notebooks, crafts,etc...) But I always have a couple that end up with 40 or 50 points in a month. (those are hard to pick items) It takes a lot to get 10 points a week. I judge on behavior, participation, being on time, (Children's Ministry only meets on Sunday) bringing visitors. The ages range from 2-12. Of course the toddlers have less restrictions. :D But 5 and older have to meet certain requirements.

6. Alice9248

Alice9248 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

My 4th grade teacher did something like this and I STILL remember it. She had items we could "buy" as well as items for auction. The kids got to bid with their points. The BIG item was a music song book from the music department. The bidding went very high on that thing which the teacher got for nothing. That was literally 35 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Good luck!

FYI--I'm not a teacher right now, but a lawyer thinking of entering the field.

7. revlove

revlove Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

Cool! Never though of the auction view. Quite interesting. I think I may try that this week.

8. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jan 16, 2008

I observed in a class today and saw such an interesting idea for economy rewards. She called it "Flea Market." The students could bring something from home that they would like to sell to their fellow students. BUT the coolest part of "Flea Market" was that the students could perform jobs for a fee. Some girls had set up a beauty salon. One child had a shoe shining stand. One smart entrepreneurial student gave neck/shoulder massages. I thought it sounded like a very fun idea!

9. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 28, 2009