student baby shower

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by noreenk, Mar 22, 2010.

1. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

Not sure how to handle this and I'm hoping you all can help out :)

I am seven months pregnant and my students have been super excited as my pregnancy progresses. Some of these kids I taught in first grade and most of the class I've known just as long, so we were unusually close to begin with and I get along very well with most of the parents. My students know that teachers traditionally have baby showers after school and they've asked if they are invited; I don't want to leave them out of any baby celebrations, but I also don't want to let them crash whatever nice shower that my co-workers put together. So to compromise, I thought it would be nice to do something just as a class either during the day or after school... but I don't want them to feel obligated to bring me gifts!!! In fact I've bought some onesies and bibs for them to decorate with fabric markers and puff paint and I think it would be fun for everyone to bring a baby picture and we could guess who's who.

How can I present this to the parents in a way that doesn't make them feel like they are required to participate or spend money??

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

How about having them give a very particular gift to you new baby: a letter from them about the world they wish for the baby, or a letter full of wisdom they've acquired over the years or something???

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

I love Alice's idea!! :)

I have to admit that when I first saw the thread title, in Elementary Education, my heart stopped beating for a moment. I thought you were talking about a baby shower for an elementary student! :p

Oy.... today's been a rough one.

ETA: Congrats on the baby!!

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 22, 2010

I like Alice's idea. It's also something you may want to communicate to the parents. Perhaps instead of calling it a "shower" you could think of something else to call it.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

Baby celebration? lol

I remember being in 6th grade and my teacher was out most of the year on leave...but I was a very active ceramics painter/crafty bit. I remember painting her a Noah's Ark night light, knowing that was what the nursery was in.

I think the kids would have a blast decorating the onesies and bibs.

Even if you sent home a letter, you could explain the class is excited about your new addition and wanted to celebrate with you and that gifts are not necessary.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

I like Alice's idea as well. In addition, could you have fabric squares for each student and let them decorate a fabric square to turn into a quilt?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

Be careful with your wording- you don't want to come off looking like you expect a shower or gifts. I like Alice's idea of letters- maybe have them each write and illustrate a page of 'advice' on growing up...tell them you will put in a book to read to your new baby...

9. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 23, 2010

Baby Welcome Party?

I love the idea of having your students write a letter to your baby, and the quilt idea.

What if they wrote and illustrated a collection of bedtime stories for you to read to your baby?

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 23, 2010

My daughters class made her a quilt. Another teacher helped them, and gave it to my daughter at the school wide shower. The students did not attend.

I think any of the ideas will be great, as long as it is clear that they are not to bring gifts.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

I agree. The teacher who teaches math and science to the class I have for English (does that make sense?) just had her second baby. The class wanted to give her a surprise shower before she left and we had started to make plans for food and some of the students brought in money to go towards a gift card (completely optional). We had agreed that a group gift was the way to go and that no one would get individual gifts. The teacher's mat. leave ended up starting early, so the shower didn't happen (it will end up being a "Welcome Baby" party in a couple of months). However...she called the day her leave had been scheduled to start to say that her husband was dropping by the school to pick up some papers for her and to tell the kids that he would come to the classroom to, "pick up the gifts from the students" while he was in the building. I may have been wrong, but I did not deliver that message because it gave the message that she was expecting gifts from the 12 and 13 year olds that she teaches (I guess we could have given her the $7 we had collected up to that point--but that would have been rude).

I love the idea of the letters--we'll do that for her when she comes back to visit (I had to dissuade her from bringing in the baby when he was a week old!).

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2010

When I was pg... I really wanted to do some fun things with my class. I wanted to incorporate graphing, predicting (didn't know the sex of baby) & do like a string around the belly...but baby came early.

Not a a school baby shower, but one I went to we recorded a tape with each person going to the shower with our favorite lullaby. Could you have your students bring in their favorite childhood book or sing a lullaby into a mic & put it on a cd?!? It could even be a song you sing in the classroom together. It would be something that you could share with the baby & still have great memories of the students.

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

After I had my girls, I made it a point to bring them in to "show" my class just prior to me coming back from maternity leave. However, both of my girls were born mid-year. It appears that the OP will be having her baby in the last month of school-- might not be as easy to work that in. I would, in her place, write in a monthly/weekly newsletter validating the students' excitement. I would note the "plans" that are made in having the kiddos make the bibs & such. I would plan a "special" afternoon, of sorts, that is scheduled and so that the parents know about it. Yes, it might spark some gifts from those already thoughtful parents. And, yet, it may not.

Good luck... enjoy your last days with your students. :)

14. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

I like Alice's idea too. Maybe they could bring in their own baby picture and you could copy it and make a "Baby Book" with their baby pictures next to their letter. Yes, I would be careful of the letter so the parents know that this is your wish. If the parents want to contribute in anyway they could give the children decorations for the room or provide snacks. Kids expect food at a shower.

15. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

thanks for all the ideas... i have a lot of creative writers and i think having them write bedtime stories or some sort of advice letter (or survival guide, that might be hilarious!) to compile in a book would be wonderful. i also like the idea of putting their baby pictures next to them! you guys are great!

16. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Mar 25, 2010

This thread made me think of this blog: http://stfuparents.tumblr.com/post/472958104 (warning: bad language and some nasty pictures... but overall really hilarious.)

I don't know I would get the students and parents involved if I was in your situation... I'm big on keeping my life private at work. My parents don't have the greatest boundaries, that's just me, though.

17. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

as i mentioned in my original post, i taught almost all of these kids 4 years ago and i'm unusually close to this particular group. they initiated a lot of the talk about celebrating my pregnancy and the purpose of this thread was to specifically make sure they DON'T feel obligated to get me a gift. that link is pretty much the exact opposite of what i'm going for.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2010

I love the idea of having them each write a bedtime story or poem for the baby, and maybe someone could "bind" them into a book (even putting them in a 3-ring binder and having the authors sign it). THat way, they ARE giving you a gift, but you're also not outright asking for a gift, kwim?

Here, teacher baby showers are usually initiated/planned by the room moms. Each time I had a baby, the moms did something for me from the class. It was usually cake and punch, with a class gift (either homemade or storebought). I treasure the pictures from those events.