Student attachement problem

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ItIsWellWithMySoul, Jan 7, 2017.

1. ItIsWellWithMySoul

ItIsWellWithMySoul New Member

Jan 7, 2017

My 2 1/2 yr old student is very attached to me. He pushes/hits any student that tries to get near me. He follows me where ever I go holding on to my shirt. Sometimes I can't step out the room because he"ll throw a tantrum, because he wants to be with me. He wants to be on top of me at all times.

I love him (I love all my student), but his behavior makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Talking to his parent about his behavior didn't help either.

I don't know what do to stop this behavior.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 7, 2017

Let him throw tantrums and cry.
    Praise him when he's not attached to you and playing nicely.
    Do what you do with other kids who hit and push (redirect, "time out", whatever it is you do)

When I worked in daycare I also had a 2-yr-old crazy attached to me. Screamed bloody murder if I tried to leave the room. He got used to it. Still loved me the most lol, but wasnt physically attached to me at the hip

4. ItIsWellWithMySoul

Jan 8, 2017

I do ignore him, and I'll walk away from his tantrum but he'll run after me. I've tried giving him the "teacher role" telling him that he need to teach his other friend how we sit nicely and what not, it sort of worked for just a day.

"Time out" would usually be going to the library to read a book, but he won't stay in the library and if he does he's standing on the couch and making loud noise.

Most of my kids came back from vacation (the ones that always want hugs and kisses) so he's extra clingy now. The other day for breakfast he threw himself on the floor because I was talking to a parent and her 6 month old.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 8, 2017

Is there another teacher there you could switch classrooms with for a few days? One that knows your class and you know their class so the switch wouldn't be crazy for the kids?
    He just might need some "space" :p

6. ItIsWellWithMySoul

Jan 8, 2017

He definitely does behave better when I'm not at work or if I place him in another room for a moment.
    I can't switch classroom. My parents would definitely not like that.
    I thought me going away for a couple of days for vacation would help, but it didnt.
    He missed me a lot his parents said and had a hard time for drop off bc I wasn't there. If he sees me in another room he standd by the door crying or with his sad puppy face look