stuck

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maggiedoodle, May 18, 2006.

1. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

May 18, 2006

Right now I'm stuck in my room because one of my students had to come in from recess because she didn't do her homework. This is not my favorite consequence, but she has had 2 notes from mom in the past week "excusing" her for not doing her hw. (we're talking very short, routine assignments!) Mom is a newly certified teacher who provides zero help to her children, and will probably be upset that I kept her daughter in. The first time I just had her do it the next night, but this time I felt I needed to be more direct. I really just wanted to vent, but does anyone have any advice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2006

Hang in there. You're teaching this child that actions have consequences, even if her mom isn't making any effort in that direction. I've been working on that theme with my own kids this year. (Please tell me you're not talking about my kids-- I'm on Long Island)

When my 7 year old son forgot his weekly book report in the fall, I really hemmed and hawed,then decided NOT to drop it off at school. I figured that it was his report, his responsibility. (I did, however,put it away from the reaches of his 3 year old crayon-weilding sister!) As it turns out, he got off easy with a warning. Yesterday he left his math homework home, and once again I failed to come to the rescue.

I think it's an important lesson, one that everyone needs to learn early. So, big picture, you're doing this litttle girl a huge favor!

4. Pecas

Pecas Companion

May 18, 2006

Please, Please, Please don't feel bad for doling out this consequence. Students need to learn responsibility for their learning, and understand that each assignment is given for a reason. I don't know what grade you teach, but I teach fifth. I have a feeling the teachers in the grades below me let things slide like that all of the time, and now the students in my class think it is no big deal. I even have students ask if I could make an extra copy for them, since they were probably going to lose it!!! Talk about not being responsible! When no action is taken to correct a behavior, it will escalate into something bigger, so when that person is an adult, they will be the ones paying all the extra fines for late payments and fees, rushing to get things done last minute, and in general being unorganized.

5. MissV

MissV Companion

May 18, 2006

Alternative but slightly more *evil* homework

I *love* going outside to recess. If I'm not on duty I take a stack of papers to grade and enjoy the sunshine and chatter with the other teachers. I couldn't *imagine* being "stuck" inside because of a student's lack of responsibility. Drag her outside with you next time and plop her down near your bench:)

I'm actually pretty mean. When my students forget to do their homework, they get the wonderful opportunity of doing a similar "written" assignment.

For example: Since Bobby forgot to fill in the geography worksheet on landforms, now he gets to write brief descriptions of them all and list examples of where they could be located.

Or a math facts sheet goes from being
    --> 45 X 2 = 90 tooooooo...
    --> forty-five multiplied by two equals ninety, because ninety divided by two is forty-five, and ninety divided by forty-five equals two.

After two or three *harder* homework assignments, they start doing them the first time around *-*

Woah. If she gets upset, I forsee a lot of problems in her employment future:)

I more than consider your consequence to be fair. It's not mommy's responsibility to make sure homework gets completed OR mommy's place to give excuses/justification for missed assignments. (It is however mom's responsibility to make sure her children are succeeding, and it is SCARY that a future EDUCATOR is doling out the excuse card. eugh.)

Obviously she had already taken her "recess" the night before when she should have been doing her homework:)

Good luck with the situation and get back to enjoying your free period!

Last edited: May 18, 2006