Stuck with Coworkers with Bad Teaching Philosophies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by C_PE, Dec 12, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 13, 2017

You know I just love arguing with you bud. Not quite as much as I love when you argue with Tyler, but I like to rumble a little bit.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 13, 2017

Haha, yes! A good verbal joust is a wonderful thing, my friend. :)

3. C_PE

C_PE New Member

Dec 13, 2017

Thank you for all the advice that was given! I appreciate the stories. It does suck that this is sometimes common but hopefully things will change quickly over the next few years! Please keep my students and other students in similar situations in your prayer.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 14, 2017

Wait. Why would you even say something like this? Are you saying that you mean problems don't exist in private schools? Are you saying that private school teachers are better than public? I think you are better than this.

It seems you are very insecure about working in a private school. You shouldn't be. Many noble and highly skilled teachers choose to teach in private schools. You don't need to say how smart and highly praised you are or how well your students score on tests. Except for your illogical and emotional distain for public educators (you still refer to low-income schools as "failing" after you admitted the term was inappropriate), you are probably a great teacher.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 14, 2017

Now this is what I was waiting for.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 15, 2017

Where did I say that I was uncomfortable or somehow insecure at working at a private school? What is this, non-sequitur hour? I proudly say I work at a private school because I don’t have to deal with PC nonsense and students and teachers who moan and gripe about standardized tests. Oh woe is me, students have to think and my students actually have to demonstrate what they’ve learned! What ever am I going to do? I don’t know, maybe teach effectively?

Anyway, it is safe to say a small percentage of public schoolteachers (less than or equal to 25%) are unprofessional and psychotically stupid. Many of my colleagues who I work with tell me horror stories of all the public schools they’ve worked at. For example, at one school teachers would openly gossip about other teachers in the staff lounge, badmouth parents and students, and only pass out snacks to teachers they liked in front of everyone. At another school, many teachers would arrive to school late everyday, some drank Brandy in class, and some would sit at their desks the entire period and tell the students to watch YouTube videos to learn the material. They themselves refused to teach them anything. At yet another school, teachers would swear at students and insult them when they didn’t understand. For example, if a student rolled their eyes, the teachers would oftentimes respond with, “Maybe if you keep rolling your eyes you’ll actually find a brain back there, you little punk.” In the county where I work, stuff like this happens ALL the time.

That’s why I say what I say Tyler. I’ve encountered this behavior from elementary through high school in some form and my family moved around quite a bit. In fact, I attended three different elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools in my upbringing. For instance, in my high school the moronic librarian would require students to answer a riddle before being allowed into the library and would try to ban students for walking past him and refusing to answer his stupid questions. He even said to a student, “You’re still here! You must have been held back another year!” Not *once* has a single occurrence like this happened at the private school where I work. Can you say the same about your school, Tyler?

Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is an enemy action. — Ian Fleming

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Belch likes this.
  7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 15, 2017

Since your private school has no weak teachers, 25% of public school teachers must be bad. Huh?

You are mistaken if you think I'm your enemy. We are fellow soldiers in a battle to provide the best education possible for children.

Also, private schools depend on public schools to take the most difficult and expensive students. In my school, we have three classrooms where students bite staff, have feeding tubes, and nearly 1 to 1 staff members. Your school would turn away these students and accept vouchers that diminish funding for the public schools you depend on. Twenty years of voucher schools in Milwaukee have shown that these private schools underperform the public sector. This is such a colossal amount of data that you can't successfully argue private schools are universally better.

I don't understand your persistent attacks on public school teachers, so I attribute your behavior to insecurity about being a private school educator. You don't need to be embarrassed to teach in a private school. You should feel shame for attacking hard working teachers in the public schools.

TrademarkTer and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 15, 2017

Tyler, I don’t think you’re my enemy at all. I actually think you sound very articulate and intelligent and it’s obvious that you care deeply about your students. I take issue with public schoolteachers who are still allowed to keep their jobs, even when found guilty of egregious offenses like some of the things I mentioned. Why is that permissible? The teacher that I spoke about in a previous thread who bullied, humiliatied, and intimidated a student for half a year is still working at the same school, and that is absolutely ridiculous. (In case you didn’t read that, he made fun of the student in question because of his weight, his being a social outcast, and due to the fact that he collects action figures.) This kind of behavior gives ALL teachers, regardless of where they work, bad names. They shouldn’t be anywhere near the classroom if they do these kinds of things, but yet they still return to the classroom and continue as they were. Luckily, though, this teacher learned his lesson and has kept quiet since I filed a complaint against him.

9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 15, 2017

I agree 100% that incompetent teachers should not have access to children. I can't explain why a weak teacher was allowed to teach in your former school.

Popular culture has abundant, and perhaps undeserved, stories about sadistic nuns tormenting students. Why were these people allowed to continue teaching? Is this just a private school problem? I think not.

I've taught over 30 years in public and private schools and seen very few of these incompetent teachers. In my present school, we had a 19-year veteran who was a member of the union executive board. This teacher had a condition that I would describe as very slow moving early onset dementia. The principal fired her after going though due process. The union checked to see the P was following the rules and backed away. Public schools do fire bad teachers and 40% of new teachers leave the field within 5 years for various reasons. There does not exist legions of bad teachers who fail to bring low scoring schools up to average.

The problem with low scoring schools is not lazy teachers, it's poverty.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 21, 2017

This isn't fear and intimidation. It is abuse. If a paraprofessional calls a student a B****, and the student can hear it, I'd report it to the P. I know of only one case in over 25 years where a staff member swore at a student. He was asked to resign or face termination proceedings. He chose to resign. This was in the first quarter of school.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 21, 2017

I am sorry for your poor private school experience. I have not found the truth to be that all. I have never taught in a more positive environment than the private school I teach at where even yelling is very rare. I don't doubt some private schools are not positive. I think stereotypes whether it is based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or even taking a leap on private, public, or charter schools is wrong. I think one stereotype can end up leading to another and can lead in hate and poor decisions on a little bit of information. I am not trying to single you out as I know your posts are some of the most professional and well thought out on this site. I am worried about how others might treat this statement and fly in an inappropriate way with it.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 28, 2017

Unfortunately it's been pretty common in my experience. Usually those type of staff members have favorites. It shouldn't take an exceptional person to treat and view all kids as equally human worthy of pure respect, in and out of the classroom. To some people, that's PC.

And the fact that these abusive statements are supported by admin, says a lot about how toxic environments persist. You can't make up for nor correct other people's shortcomings. No one has that kind of power. A toxic environment is just that, and best to get away from. However, I do believe in speaking up in honor of the kids as much as you can. It's not always possible, but saying something positive about your group, or their progress, or some talent they have, etc in front of the negative teachers would probably help keep your spirits a little higher until you are in a better environment.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 28, 2017

Hi RR. That's why I specifically said "at SOME private schools". Just like at SOME public schools poor treatment of students might be the norm. I was making the same argument you're making in this post, that stereotypes based on personal experiences are not great arguments. I know many private schools and private school teachers (such as yourself) are probably great! Sorry if that wasn't clear in my previous post.

14. Waterborne

Waterborne Rookie

Dec 28, 2017

Fear and intimidation being the common teaching philosophy at your school only affects the dispositions of your students and your convenience, not your ability to teach. Certain political beliefs are so deeply ingrained in people from childhood that they will never change. Stick to your classroom and only your classroom and you should be fine unless interference starts to occur. Just make sure that the students know that you are not like the other teachers. If you need to collaborate, do so with teachers from other schools. Even a small moral victory in your class pays huge dividends, especially if you can help the children form their identities.

15. MathTeacher1982

MathTeacher1982 New Member

Dec 29, 2017

I am new here, as well as a fairly new teacher, I am in my fourth year teaching math. I just had recently had a discussion with my administrator with another math teacher constantly putting my ideas down. The principal said that it wasn't team work and she would talk to the other teacher. I let the other teacher know how it's making me feel that she was putting down my ideas and thoughts. This teacher apologized. So I went back to the administrator to say that things are working better now but they are checking up to make sure it still does. The administrator said to come back if this teacher tries to rule me or put down my ideas. You were hired as a teacher and have a right to contribute ideas as well and run your classroom. I would recommend talking to administration.

16. MyMothersDaughtersBrother

MyMothersDaughtersBrother Rookie

Jan 1, 2018

I have seen a lot of this at all schools where I have subbed and in all schools I have taught in. We, my wife and I, will pray for your situation - we know it is difficult.