stuck in an "analysis-paralysis" mode. Anyone BTDT?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Sep 21, 2011.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I am so sorry for this crazy back & forth posting but my thinking these days is so muddled that I have to ask you all for help.

I love subbing but I am starting to hate the uncertainty of it all. I barely sub 60 days a year and that too mostly as an aide. And yet I love the teachers, the way things are taught in the district and the nobility of education. So I think I should get certified in some area so that I get at least better sub jobs and even a f/t job someday.
    But the thought of student debt at age 46 terrifies me and I am not sure if I am upto the hard work involved in studying.

Then I think I should switch to editing/proofing which I used to do in my youth. But this field has few jobs and if I try really hard, I can only freelance.

Now freelancing means working alone and I hate working alone. I keep thinking I should be in the classroom and guiding students and maybe aide subbing is better.

So as a result of all this confused thinking, I now try to sub 4x/week (assuming I get a job) and I keep one day to visit a local newspaper to get proofing experience. I am not able to decide what I should do long-term.

Thank you so much if you followed this post this far!!!! Anyone caught in a jam like this? If I was 25 and subbed in public schools, I'd be a LD consultant or a speech pathologist in a heartbeat.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

A couple of thoughts...you still have at least a couple of decades to work at a job you love. If subbing is your only income, there are lots of financial aid packages that you could receive and be left with little to no debt when you finish school. Something to think about...?

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I did look at a college here in Central NJ

- at Monmouth University.I'd have to take 25 prereq. education credits before I start the actual certification program. I'd incur about $35k at least in debt and I'd get maybe about $3k in scholarship money from Monmouth. Thanks for your thoughts.

thesub

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2011

Debt is scary and a valid concern. Studying at 46, not so much. If you want to do it though, there are ways to go about it.

As for subbing OR freelancing, why can't you do both?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Do you already have an undergrad degree?

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 22, 2011

I have a Master's degree from a major univ in NJ but in creative writing. Hence the need to take all the education courses, according to Monmouth.

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 22, 2011

Like FAFSA?