Struggling...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njteach41, Jun 13, 2007.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 13, 2007

I'm a recent grad in NJ with my Master's in Teaching for Elementary Education. I've been to, 2 job fairs, and on 3 interviews. One interview was back in April and I'm assuming I didn't get it, the second I was told I did not get, and the third interview was for a maternity leave position which I had last week (hoping for the best).

In my opinion, finding a job for elementary ed in NJ has been harder, more frustrating, upsetting, and trying then my two years in the master's program.

I need some words of advise because it's becoming very difficult to stay positive and keep pushing forward in the job search. I'm not sure what else I can be doing. I feel like I've been doing everything to the best of my ability, and have applied to over 100 districts. Sometimes I wonder if my student teaching location is going against me. Being in a struggling, urban, abbot school in NJ. It's starting to really break me down because I have the future to think about and if I don't find that job I think about.... student loans, car payment, no health benefits (or COBRA which costs so much). Sorry for the rant.. I guess I'm just in search of some words of encouragement.

Anybody else out there??

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

4. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Best of luck to you. I think your student teaching experience should help you actually. Have you thought of applying in PA? The Poconos really can use teachers who have experience teaching in urban settings. The majority of our student population here transfer directly from NYC and citiies in Jersey.

5. njteach41

Jun 13, 2007

I agree

It is brutal... glad to know I'm not alone out there...

I've applied to a handful of private and charter schools so we'll see...

I guess I just can't let the rejection get to me.

6. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Stay positive! Many people are you in your shoes and know how you feel. I was there myself and wanted to give up hope, but I hung in there and finally was offered a job. It may take time, but you will too!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 13, 2007

Don't feel bad! I'm in Florida which supposedly needs tons of teachers and can't get interviews. Hold your head up. You have a master's degree something that many, many people can not do.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

I'm with you. I'm going to be saying, "Want fries with that" very soon, because this is a disaster.

9. njteach41

Jun 13, 2007

I know what you mean. They want more experience, yeettttt how do you get more experience if no one will give you a chance. I feel like, these days it's all about who you know in the education system... which I know absolutely no one.

10. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 13, 2007

It is almost always about who you know here. That is the reality. I lost a job to someone who was connected, the principal actually told me so. At least she was honest. It is not like that with just teaching jobs in my area, if you want to be a cop or obtain another county or other good-paying, great benes job, you need the political connection. Some make you take tests, but many are filled by a network of friends and relatives. Our local newspaper is always running stories about how many jobs some of these people hold and how their family and friends fill these positions, too. Very very unfair.

Elementary is flooded with applicants. Even elem. sped, believe me, I can attest to that. I have had a handful of interviews, all got hundreds of resumes and there were at least 6 people competing in the end. I went to a job fair last year with close to 1000 people and the bulk of applicants was for eled. There were 11 openings. This was a large inner city school, students who I have been blessed to have experience with and still, no luck.

I had no idea until I started seeing it with my own eyes. I just got another rejection-they wanted someone with more experience and I was up against multiple other candidates with "a lot" more. I knew it before I left, the questions were very difficult, very detailed and specific. I did the best I could.

There are way, way, too many of us looking, budget cuts and teachers being let go. I have probably sent out over 100 resumes, and had about 6 interviews. 2 of them, the jobs were already filled and the interviews were fake, 2 went to relatives, 1 -never heard and then this other one. I think that is it, believe me, very few interviews for the resumes. Ironically, all of my interviewers have expressed how nice my cover letter and resume are....

My advice is to keep sending your resumes, as far as you can. I send in a 45-minute radius. I have sent many cold ones because I do not even see ads anymore.

You have a Masters and that is awesome. I think that will get you noticed, I really really do. I do not know anyone either, but I always let people know I am looking. Then they let me they know 10people who are looking, too. :eek: But you never know, it cannot hurt to make people aware.

Good luck to you.

11. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Don't give up! Keep trying. I've been looking for jobs and the job market seems very scare right now, but you never know what could happen a few weeks before school starts. Get to know people and try to get connected to those that you know in the teaching field. I've been told numerous times that it's who you know in this business. Overall, do what you think it takes for you to get what you want. Teaching kids is just so great, so don't give up!

12. rlss

rlss Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I just began my job search last month and already feel frustrated (I live in NJ as well). In fact, we're probably applying for the same jobs. I also have my Master's (Master of Education in Elementary Education) and have 2 yrs Private Elementary school experience and 2 1/2 years Community College Teaching experience but for whatever reason haven't gotten an interview call yet. I'm sure that your student teaching experience is fine. I also have an urban student teaching experience (from Pittsburgh, PA). However, I'm concerned that my college teaching experience might be going against me. I am considering getting certified in Middle School Science as well (I currently have N-8 Elementary School Teacher). Some of the advice that I've been receiving is to get involved in the school districts in any possible way...whether it's attending school board meetings or playing a political role. I haven't tried it yet though. I've been applying all over NJ and just hope that I'll find something. I wish you all the best as well.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Hang in there. Even 13 years ago when I was looking for a job in CO, I had a tough go. I wasn't lucky enough to have my own connections and had to go the long way around to finally get the job I wanted. It took about 6 years. I started in a private school a long way from home for little money, built my experience and then moved 3 different schools before I finally got one close to home in a public school. Stick with it. It's difficult but worth it when you finally land.

14. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

It's a tough job market all over, but you have to STAY POSITIVE!! When you go on interviews, you want to make sure any negative energy is no where in sight. All things will workout. That's my motto and how I have made it through some tough times looking for teaching jobs. Good luck with your search!

15. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I agree. You must stay positive. Also, I would suggest dropping an application/resume any and everywhere you are willing to drive to. The first assignment won't always be the best, but after that first year, you have your certification and a year of experience to make you more marketable for the next year. So, don't restrict application to only the best performing districts, put in for a job everywhere!

16. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 13, 2007

Think about applying in D.C.! We have a crazy teacher shortage, and just got a new superintendent (chancellor) today, who is very focused on urban teachers. Your experiences may be just what they're looking for. When I was applying to teaching positions after getting my master's degree, I was very much "courted" by D.C., though I ended up going to a private ECE program. Sometimes you have to look outside your target geographical location. Also, you may think about starting out in a preschool program. Sometimes all a principal wants to see is a year or two of successful classroom management--whatever the age group. Have you considered a program like Teach for America?

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I worked in an Abbott district this year as well, and I don't think it would hinder you in any way. In fact, I think it helps bc Abbotts have to be cutting edge. You are trained in all the newest trends in education, have a harder population of students (academically at least) and are pushed to get those scores up. That I think would be beneficial to any district.

18. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

What is Teach for America?

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I know the feeling. Though sometimes the reasons for hiring are absolutely random. I know one girl who got hired in the district who had no experience. People wonder why because there is nothing incredibly outstanding about her qualifications. There were plenty of applicants with lots more experience who get overlooked. I think age sometimes has an advantage...in that some people want fresh new peopole they can mold. Who knows.